resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx

Re: How does TSI offer unlimited?

In well-managed networks, congestion isn't an issue.

Rogers isn't well-managed.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by resa1983:

Yes, but think about it. Rogers is Canada's largest broadband provider and as such, represents us on the world stage. For Canada to be rated 39th worldwide on the Internet stage is deplorable. The government should step in and force Rogers to either "step up or step out".

This is of national importance and having 3rd world Internet access because of Rogers ineptitude is a national disgrace. We cannot let Rogers drag Canada into a black hole of Internet and information dispersal any longer.

In times of crisis all we'll have is the Internet to conduct matters of national security and survival.

Rogers cannot be allowed to be the root cause of the demise of Canada's ability to conduct business and transmit data in a timely and effectual online world.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by elitefx:

Yes, but think about it. Rogers is Canada's largest broadband provider and as such, represents us on the world stage. For Canada to be rated 39th worldwide on the Internet stage is deplorable. The government should step in and force Rogers to either "step up or step out".

This is of national importance and having 3rd world Internet access because of Rogers ineptitude is a national disgrace. We cannot let Rogers drag Canada into a black hole of Internet and information dispersal any longer.

In times of crisis all we'll have is the Internet to conduct matters of national security and survival.

Rogers cannot be allowed to be the root cause of the demise of Canada's ability to conduct business and transmit data in a timely and effectual online world.

Bell is actually Canada's largest broadband provider.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

LazMan to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by resa1983:

I'm in the business, and I think Roger's doesn't actually do too badly.

Managing a network with 1.9 million end users is challenging... What exactly do you feel they are doing that is "inept" and leading to the "demise of Canada's ability to conduct business"?
LazMan

LazMan to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Bell at ~3 Million internet subs leads the list, followed by Rogers at 1.9 million, Shaw at 1.8 million, TELUS at 1.3 million and Videotron with 1.1 million.

I couldn't find numbers for Tek... Any idea how many subs they have?

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Managing a network with 1.9 million end users is challenging... What exactly do you feel they are doing that is "inept" and leading to the "demise of Canada's ability to conduct business"?

Better put: Common sense dictates having one company control the flow of information in a country as large as Canada, or any country really, is bad for competition, pricing, bandwidth costs and technological upgrade expenditures etc.

Bell and Rogers are for all intents and purposes one entity under 2 business , though legally separate, divisions. Their unified strategic attempt in purchasing MLSE was all the final proof anyone needed. It was a very public statement that together they stand.
Both control a separate arm of the internet service/bandwidth pricing structure in Canada. It is obvious price fixing is alive and well today. Rogers/Bell will back each other to the hilt. It is in their best business interest to do so.

How the Competition Bureau has allowed things to degrade this far and allow the Rogers/Bell conglomerate to monopolize Canada's data transmission services should be the subject of a full parliamentary investigation.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Wow - me thinks your tinfoil hat's on a little tight today...

The MLSE deal was to control content; and more an "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of deal, then collusion, in my opinion...

Plus, you didn't actually answer my question, of what are they doing that's inept or leading to the demise of Canada's ability to conduct business. Which were your initial statements, BTW...

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by LazMan:

Insults will get you nowhere Bud. As they say " the proof is in the pudding".

We'll see who's right as time goes on................
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elitefx:

said by LazMan:

Insults will get you nowhere Bud.

Can't help it if it is true.

DarkStar33
join:2008-03-27
Toronto, ON

DarkStar33 to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Regardless of the size of your network the investment should be along the same lines. Larger networks are often more efficient per user if you do them correctly.

If you are doing it right 0.9M, 1.9M and 10.9M really is not that big of a change if you invest correctly.

Chances are Rogers technical team is 1/3 of the size it should be and network development 5-10 years behind.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Actually, that is probably not true. It's more likely they drag their feet in upgrading network hardware to add capacity when it's needed in order to maximize profits.

Most NA carriers will upgrade hardware on their networks as late as they can while still continuing to advertise their services at speeds that are oversubscribed.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TypeS:

Actually, that is probably not true. It's more likely they drag their feet in upgrading network hardware to add capacity when it's needed in order to maximize profits.

Most NA carriers will upgrade hardware on their networks as late as they can while still continuing to advertise their services at speeds that are oversubscribed.

To me that is pretty obvious.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to DarkStar33

to DarkStar33
said by DarkStar33:

Chances are Rogers technical team is 1/3 of the size it should be and network development 5-10 years behind.

In North American standards, the Rogers HFC network is much more advanced than most MSOs on this side of the hemisphere.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by yyzlhr:

In North American standards, the Rogers HFC network is much more advanced than most MSOs on this side of the hemisphere.

Rogers/Shaw and Videotron are doing a pretty good job at downstream speeds but Rogers and more so Shaw are quite weak for upstream speeds. Comcast is the only US MSO that over all is doing a better job. One area they're ahead of everyone else is the push to move customers to their IPTV based infrastructure and according to them their time line is to migrate within the next 3 years. I think that is pretty darn optimistic but we'll see.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

said by elitefx:

said by resa1983:

I'm in the business, and I think Roger's doesn't actually do too badly.

I so missed this post before. How about this:

Stating that they monitor their network, and begin upgrades before they're needed, so they're completed before congestion becomes a problem. Complete BS.

An entire POI was only being served by 3gbps - they denied upgrades to TPIA because they didn't have enough capacity for themselves, let alone TPIA due to lack of upgrades. Kitchener/Waterloo POI sometime back in 2011

Having a local node fail over & over - just doing patch jobs on the bloody thing. Refusing to do any significant work on it. I was stuck on that node until I moved. Massive congestion on this local node due to way too many houses, multiple apartment buildings, and multiple sets of row townhomes being on it - and this was before Rogers increased their speeds causing network-wide congestion.

While we're on that. Network-wide congestion from them increasing speeds to all (Retail & TPIA), then scrambling afterwards to do node splits.

Failure to abide by ITMP policy (for years on end), and getting caught red-handed multiple times.

Lack of network upgrades and relying on throttling to manage their network (ie against ITMP policy).

Leading of course to Rogers being forced to do more node splits to be able to remove throttling, to get the CRTC Enforcements Division off their ass.

Hell, and that's only the last 2 years. :\

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I think Marc mentioned it in the 15 year anniversary celebrations: 200k
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by MacGyver:

said by LazMan:

I think Marc mentioned it in the 15 year anniversary celebrations: 200k

So about 3X what they had back when they were Bell-GAS only.

eh
@videotron.ca

eh to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

In a crisis the internet will be down, just like Bell and Rogers cell network goes down in the smallest of situations.

I think you must be very young if you think you need the internet to survive, or think you and the ISP will even have electricity in a real crisis.

If a tiny earthquake in Gatineau can bring all cell communications to a halt in both Ottawa (nation's capital) and Gatineau, I think you will be in for a rude awaking when a real crisis does happen that is a matter of survival.

Sorry, can only roll my eyes at your comment.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to resa1983

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

While we're on that. Network-wide congestion from them increasing speeds to all (Retail & TPIA), then scrambling afterwards to do node splits.

They keep doing that over and over again. They roll out upgrades to alleviate congestion then roll out higher speed tiers and it's back to congestion as nodes are overloaded.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

said by yyzlhr:

Bell at ~3 Million internet subs leads the list, followed by Rogers at 1.9 million, Shaw at 1.8 million, TELUS at 1.3 million and Videotron with 1.1 million.

hrmmm yet sandvine reported that in sept 2005 of the 24 million net accounts in canada 5.4 were using p2p at same time
and 4 months later that jumped to 9.8 million

your saying we dont even have that many internet users....
somehting aint right here....
even cbc reported last sept we had 21 million net users.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Heh, it'd be awesome if TekSavvy's website had a little box that announced a rounded ballpark figure of the number of subscribrers overall, and a pie chart showing the percent on each of their Cable & DSL services.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to funny0

to funny0
said by funny0:

said by LazMan:

hrmmm yet sandvine reported that in sept 2005 of the 24 million net accounts in canada 5.4 were using p2p at same time
and 4 months later that jumped to 9.8 million

your saying we dont even have that many internet users....
even cbc reported last sept we had 21 million net users.

It's not as if what he listed above is all of the providers in Canada or all possible methods of accessing the Internet but is only wired broadband customers. Are you really this dense?

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by funny0:

Are you really this dense?

Funny = chronoss... Search old threads on here, for the answer to your question...