spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

deeve

@frontiernet.net

[FiOS] Frontier Fios-How to Connect Router Directly To The ONT

Hello, I am looking at going with Xfinity TV service, but hope to keep my Fios Internet since I like the 25 down and 25 up service. I want to connect my router directly to the Ethernet port on the ONT, but not sure how to get that done. FWIW, I live in Hillsboro Oregon.

Thanks!
DAVE

sir didymus
Premium
join:2004-12-22
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Re: [FiOS] Frontier Fios-How to Connect Router Directly To The O

My understanding is that Ethernet termination is something that needs to be configured by the installation team, although I could be wrong, but it can't hurt to just trying plugging your router in directly to the ethernet port. Just put a CAT-5 cable from the output on the ONT into the WAN port on your router and let us know if that actually works. I started out with Ethernet handoff, so can't test this myself.

I highly recommend dropping the ActionTec or Westel routers that Verizon/Frontier provided initially with one from LinkSys/Cisco or D-Link. If you want to do this, then write down the MAC address so you can program the "clone MAC" address into your new router. Frontier will be none the wiser that you have a new, more reliable router.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

No, it won't "just work" if the MOCA port is already enabled. Only one port at a time is "on". You have to call in and request to switch from MOCA to ethernet.

I don't think that Frontier actually cares if you use a different router (so no need to clone the MAC address) as long as you don't call up support to troubleshoot *anything*.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1
reply to deeve

Is 25/25 currently offered? If not you may not be able to keep it when making a service change to drop FiOS-TV. Assuming you're currently subscribed to FiOS-TV. If not then never mind.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by NOYB:

Is 25/25 currently offered? If not you may not be able to keep it when making a service change to drop FiOS-TV.

That's a good point because no, I don't think it is any more...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

deeve1

join:2011-01-03
Hillsboro, OR

Never thought of that, what upload do they offer? I didnt see it listed...

BTW, i did check and the ethernet on the ONT is DOA so I would need to get it activated.

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA

said by deeve1:

Never thought of that, what upload do they offer? I didnt see it listed...

The three tiers are now 15/5, 25/10, and 35/15. Oregon subscribers can supposedly still get 50/20 if the rep is willing to jump through some hoops but it is no longer advertised or (proactively) offered.

If you do something to change your price, you will very likely get the newer speed provisioning. If you're going to Comcast for price and your speed profile will change anyway, maybe see if Frontier will match it for TV and Internet. Supposedly if you're off-contract you can get the same prices as appear on www.frontierforhome.com.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to deeve

Here's a walk-through of switching from coax to cat5.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
It was written for VZ, so substitute Frontier as appropriate.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

deeve1

join:2011-01-03
Hillsboro, OR
reply to deeve

Thanks again folks! It looks like the switch from cable to ethernet would be pretty straight forward. I will call Frontier and see what I can do. Bummer about the upload speed change, but 10mps up is still better then Xfinity's 4 or 6.

DAVE

DarkStarPDX
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

join:2000-10-01
Hillsboro, OR
reply to deeve

I just checked Frontier.com and they still offer 35/35 for $59.99/mo. here in Hillsboro. Without any additional services they charge an extra $5/mo. but its definitely worth it.
--
--Chris ^_^

Expand your moderator at work

unickshaxor

join:2013-03-06
Hillsboro, OR
reply to deeve1

Re: [FiOS] Frontier Fios-How to Connect Router Directly To The O

Where you able to get Frontier to switch the ONT output from the coax port to the ethernet port? I'm also in Hillsboro, and want to do the same thing. (And get rid of that horrible ActionTec router they gave me).