Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PhoenixDown

Re: Nest & Tracking Heating Effeciency

Tenants live on the 2nd floor apt. It's one thermostat and if added a sensor to thier apartment I wonder if I'd ultimately confuse the thing lol.

That said I like the reporting nest seems to provide. I think the insite it offers may help

Installation seems simple enough.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by PhoenixDown:

Tenants live on the 2nd floor apt. It's one thermostat and if added a sensor to thier apartment I wonder if I'd ultimately confuse the thing lol.

Are your tenants complaining about too much or too little heat? I am assuming you are including their heat cost in the rent.

Putting a remote sensor in a separate dwelling will simply shift overheating or underheating to the other dwelling.

It's not clear to me if a remote sensor is available. Regardless, unless they're averaging or they've got some magic filling in their silver donut, the remote sensor would then essentially allow you to control the heat based on the temperature in their unit.

The best solution is zoning, but setting up zoning could be expensive depending on your existing piping. There are existing stats that would let you put the remote sensor in their unit and still control the heat from your unit.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

There is no zoning retrofit to split an existing residential steam system that is financially justifiable. It's the nature of the beast.

If a landlord was to consider any capitol project, installing separate boilers with each apartment paying their own heat is the only way to go.

The entire system would have to be ripped out and start over from scratch.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by jack b:

There is no zoning retrofit to split an existing residential steam system that is financially justifiable. It's the nature of the beast.

If a landlord was to consider any capitol project, installing separate boilers with each apartment paying their own heat is the only way to go.

The entire system would have to be ripped out and start over from scratch.

Sorry I missed the "steam" part.

I agree, if it is actually steam, i.e. one pipe to each radiator, and the system was installed intended as one zone, the cost to zone would be well beyond that of a thermostat. It would be easier to install mechanical thermostats on each radiator in that case, to keep any area from overheating.

I also agree that the chief benefit of learning systems is increased comfort. Just about everyone who can get one, has a programmable stat now, so I would doubt any energy savings unless you've previously been leaving a manual stat on the same setting.

People living alone who are motivated to track their statistics and reduce costs can easily do so, and the Nest makes that a lot easier. But in my experience living with other people, there's usually one who's hot and one who's cold and if you're lucky, a tiebreaker. (For more info just google my good friends, Carl & Barb Kulick.)
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb