uniqs
share rss forum feed

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to C0deZer0

Re: Seriously? PS4 to use AMD cpu???

All of these lovely excuses conveniently ignore that this destroys the reason why consoles last so long:

They came with top of the line parts when they launch. The Xbox 360 and PS3 could compete with the best cpus on the market (and win) at the time, which is the reason why they are still usable now.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
It looks like anyone's hope for a long lasting console is now (Extremely ironically) the steam box.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Metatron2008
First - I bet they were not top of the line as you think and ----- the top of the line is overkill and costs a ton more. CPUs now have more power than the average need - from PCs to consoles.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Gyp Thompson

@comcast.net
reply to Metatron2008
They come with top of the line parts? Are you familiar with RROD? If not, google it.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to CylonRed
No, the xbox and ps3 beat the pentium ds that were at the time the best intel had to offer, even beat the amd chips. Roughly tied with with the c2ds(at stock speed from what I hear) from 2006.

Amd cores the ps4 may use aren't even as good as phenom ll Zosma cores from 2010. When the ps4 launches in 2014 if they use those amd cores wont even be as good as stuff from what will then be 4 years ago. I'm worried about how gaming as a whole will proceed from here. The wiiu is barley 360/ps3 leve, ps4 will be using tech that is worse than 4 year old(at the time) tech, pc is getting too many indie 2d generic hipster games, the 360 probably wont be much different from the ps4.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Metatron2008
A prebuilt gaming pc(one that can be dual booted with windows no less) has the hope for long lasting consoles, lol... Look at the bright side, maybe this will bring console and pc gamers together.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
Again the wii u isn't 'barely 360/ps3' tech. Just because it has lower clock speeds. Otherwise a 10ghz pentium 4 would dominate everything right?

It's a a ati series 4000/5000 chip, 2 gigs ram, and an underpowered cpu (That is based on both power pc and power 7). Which is pretty much the direction the ps4 is moving.

The next gen of consoles won't be having a lot of physics, that's for sure. Any games that are cpu dependant will probably stay on pcs..

The ram and the gpus on all the next gen consoles are good, it's the cpus that are dumb moves..

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
How does it match against them then? I ask because I've been a pc+nintendo guy all my life, so I haven't looked into it much, other than what I've seen most message boards say.