share rss forum feed

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON
reply to infamouskid

Re: Okay, NOW Wind will definitely be foreign owned

said by infamouskid:

i really don't see that happening.
with the way things are looking now wind is in a position to buy up the other smaller guys. they already have 600k subs.
the only time they would sell is if they are not gaining anything in market right now. but as long as they continue to grow each quarter there is no reason to sell.
they just had their best quarter and their sub base size has grown by more then 50% in the last year. now they are going for full control.
i would say this is more of a strategic move to deepen their pockets for some ammunition against the incumbents. i mean this is the same company who had their CEO say "We will make pain, and they will suffer" in a live interview. that sounds more like they want payback for what happened when they opened doors rather then them wanting to sell.

Orascom will sell. It will cost too much to upgrade their network to be on par with Bell/Rogers/Telus' offerings. Wind's home network zone is still very small and a lack of LTE will begin to hurt them soon, if it's not hurting them now.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by got_milk:

Orascom will sell. It will cost too much to upgrade their network to be on par with Bell/Rogers/Telus' offerings. Wind's home network zone is still very small and a lack of LTE will begin to hurt them soon, if it's not hurting them now.

I have a hard time believing they would sell. They knew from the beginning it would take a lot of money to build out the infrastructure to compete with Rogers / Bell / Telus.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to got_milk

said by got_milk:

said by infamouskid:

with the way things are looking now wind is in a position to buy up the other smaller guys. they already have 600k subs.
the only time they would sell is if they are not gaining anything in market right now. but as long as they continue to grow each quarter there is no reason to sell.
they just had their best quarter and their sub base size has grown by more then 50% in the last year. now they are going for full control.
i would say this is more of a strategic move to deepen their pockets for some ammunition against the incumbents. i mean this is the same company who had their CEO say "We will make pain, and they will suffer" in a live interview. that sounds more like they want payback for what happened when they opened doors rather then them wanting to sell.

You can't become Bell/Rogers/Telus overnight, it'll take decades and billions to build an infrastructure to effectively compete with those three.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to got_milk

said by got_milk:

Wind's home network zone is still very small and a lack of LTE will begin to hurt them soon, if it's not hurting them now.

Very few people are getting service from the big 3 *just* because they have LTE. Wind's cell sites are fairly easily upgraded to LTE - it just doesn't make sense to do so now. Perhaps in a couple of years people would leave a carrier that doesn't have LTE then, but not so much now.

While Wind's network coverage is relatively small, they do cover a large percentage of Canada's urban population, and a decent portion of the most heavily traveled routes. Wind has been pretty good about expanding coverage (slowly) and filling in gaps in areas that need work. But there is no question that some areas still need work, ie. some I know of are 401 east of Guelph has a Wind dead zone, as does 420 half-way between Niagara Falls and Ft. Erie.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to got_milk

said by got_milk:

said by infamouskid:

i hear bell canada and rogers are behind scenes looking at a divide up so they can get quicker approval of that. THEN its back to rip off time. JUST like a fido....