how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Somersett

join:2004-12-04
Scotland

Microsoft Security Essentials - Unable To Install

I have been running Microsoft Security Essentials for several months without any issues. However, I noticed yesterday that it was not downloading and updating the new virus definitions. I uninstalled the programme ( using the Add / Remove ) and then reinstalled it but it would still not update to the latest definitions. I uninstalled it for a second time and now when I attempt to reinstall it I am receiving the message " Microsoft Security Essentials - Cannot complete the Security Installation - An error has prevented the Wizard from completing successfully - Error Code 0x80070643."

Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2.

I have scanned the computer with Eset Online Scanner and Malwarebytes Pro and there is no sign of any infection.

Somersett

Scotland

1 recommendation

Would this be better in the Microsoft Help Forum and if so can it be transferred across?

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Somersett

I'm having the same problem as to the updating of defs...I still have '419', but according to the link via EGeezer's section here...the latest is '436'. I downloaded it to 'run', and just checked the MSE software itself, and it's still at '419' !
I don't get any errors,etc...it just won't update.
--
Lonnie

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

1 recommendation

Just checked the update defs in MSE...from the systray icon...would you believe...it is now updated to '436'
--
Lonnie

Somersett

Scotland

1 recommendation

reply to LadyL

I have managed to re-install MSE since my last post but if I click on 'Update' it will only download definitions up to 1.143.376.0

I have manually updated to the latest definitions ( 1.143.436.0 ) using the following link.

»www.microsoft.com/security/porta···mse.aspx

Darth Bane

@bellaliant.net

I'm having the same issue. I checked for an update and it doesn't offer any (I'm at 376) and the MSE site says it's 436.

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Somersett

said by Somersett:

I have managed to re-install MSE since my last post but if I click on 'Update' it will only download definitions up to 1.143.376.0

I have manually updated to the latest definitions ( 1.143.436.0 ) using the following link.

»www.microsoft.com/security/porta···mse.aspx

Thanks for the link. My MSE was on the .376 def also and would not update (appeared to d/l, but did not update) using the "Update" button from within MSE. I went to the link and it updated successfully to the .455 definitions.
--
Mac

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Somersett

I had to manually update also. Now up to .455. It said I hadn't been updated in two days!

Tried the update button, it appeared to be checking, but nothing happened.

What the heck is going on with this?
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

3 recommendations

Had the same problem as everyone else. Manually downloaded and installed the (full) definitions files from

Windows Defender Offline (x64) Definitions

Windows Defender Offline (x86) Definitions

and everything was fine.

said by La Luna:

What the heck is going on with this?

Not sure why there seems to be panic about it. Evidently Microsoft's update server(s) borked over the weekend. Even this site does that from time to time.

Nothing to see here.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

Not panicking, just annoying to have to remember to manually update, that's all.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Not sure if Microsoft has MLK day as a holiday but I'm sure they'll kick their server(s) back into service soon.
--

ahulett
Premium,VIP
join:2003-02-02
Kirkland, WA

We do not.

//A

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to Somersett

It's up to 463 as of a few minutes ago.

ahulett
Premium,VIP
join:2003-02-02
Kirkland, WA

Good to see. I'm not familiar with the details, only that it should be all set now.

Regards,
Aaron

Darth Bane

@bellaliant.net

I just tried to update and it worked...sort of.

It did update but only to 383 (from 376) and not to the latest one on the MSE site (466). It's also telling me that my definitions are 2 days old.

Darth Bane

@bellaliant.net
reply to ahulett

Now it's just updated to 387. WTF?

Aframe
Premium
join:2008-01-30
Uvalde, TX
kudos:1

said by Darth Bane :

Now it's just updated to 387. WTF?

Same thing happening here..
--
HN9000/Spaceway III,74m/1w,Elite package,Windows 7,Ubuntu,

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Somersett

Thanks for the heads-up.

Just updated manually.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
reply to Somersett

I do not mean to be rude, but MSE is junk compared to a good free Anti-Virus.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Somersett

FYI automatic updates still aren't working for me. Nothing in Windows Update or when an MSE update is performed. This is occurring on two boxes running different OS'es.
--

Somersett

Scotland

Same here. I had to manually update when I logged on a short time ago.

Darth Bane

@bellaliant.net

I just updated to 455 but the latest update is actually 547, so it's definitely not fixed yet.

Here's a thread about the problem at Microsoft.

baess

join:2011-01-28

Really disappointed in this. Even if you update manually through the program you get old definitions.

Apparently Windows Defender (Win 8) is not having any issues. Wouldn't it be the same servers? Seems almost as if MS has started abandoning MSE.

Three days without resolving this is ridiculous. Imagine how many people don't know how to update manually through the program let alone download the current definitions. I'm sure many systems have/will be compromised because of this.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Click for full size
said by baess:

Even if you update manually through the program you get old definitions.

Rubbish.

I just did an manual update on two machines and got the above.
--

baess

said by StuartMW:

Rubbish.

I just did an manual update on two machines and got the above.

Not rubbish for me as a manual update didn't give me the most current definitions on two different computers.

1st stays at. .533 (manually dl'd earlier)
2nd stays at .502 (even older).

Furthermore a manual check through WU doesn't even bring up an available update on the 2nd and brings an old definition on the first.

So why is yours working when numerous others report it is not?

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

It appears to me that there may be some confusion about doing a manual update for MSE.

Some users may consider a manual update to be simply clicking the Update button within MSE.

Other users would define a manual update as:

"Download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates for your PC"

from »www.microsoft.com/security/porta···mse.aspx

On my system, I could not do a manual update from within MSE but could do a manual update by downloading and installing the latest definitions updates from the above link.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Plus the file you download must be run under an Administrator account (e.g. "Run as administrator").
--

baess

reply to Exidor

said by Exidor:

It appears to me that there may be some confusion about doing a manual update for MSE.

Some users may consider a manual update to be simply clicking the Update button within MSE.

Other users would define a manual update as:

"Download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates for your PC"

from »www.microsoft.com/security/porta···mse.aspx

On my system, I could not do a manual update from within MSE but could do a manual update by downloading and installing the latest definitions updates from the above link.

I specifically mentioned "through the program". I have been able to download definitions from microsoft.com throughout this. There is still a problem with the program.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by baess:

There is still a problem with the program.

No there is not. There's a problem with the Microsoft update mechanism.

Definitions are being generated and can be downloaded/installed. Many in this thread have been doing it.
--

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
reply to baess

said by baess:

There is still a problem with the program.

I agree! Sorry for any confusion on my part.