spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pb5053

@scansafe.net

Comcast/Service Electric in Exeter, PA

Moving to the Exeter area from Reading I found to my surprise that Comcast was NOT servicing my new location(Exeter). Some company called service electric is my cable/internet provider and this blows my mind. How is it that I can move about 7 miles and not have Comcast as a provider?

The speeds are much worse and you don't get nearly enough for what their(secv) rates are.

How does Exeter township even allow this?

f150

join:2013-01-05

St Clair,PA is 2.6 Miles from Pottsville,PA
Pottsville is comcast and St Clair is Service Electric.

adkinsjm

join:2004-10-13
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to pb5053

Because Exeter signed a franchise agreement with Service Electric a long time ago.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pb5053

Actually-
They do have a 50 down D3 internet package - and, you'll actually get more HD channels than Comcast offers. You'll most likely be served from the Birdsboro office. They built a full fiber network within the PA markets - and usually have direct links to all of the Tier 1 providers.

They're also launching all the HBO Go, ESPN stuff this Spring as well.
That company makes more effort to increase HD content than many companies in the country.

I wouldn't look at it as something bad!
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

pb5053

@scansafe.net

If they built a robust Fiber network then why are they capping us from 5PM-1AM?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

residential and some businesses have last mile plant is still 860MHz two-way enabled coax plant and their infrastructure is limited although I don't know by how much but I believe that most SECV areas are running 8 downstreams and some even have upstream bonding as well.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to pb5053

I'm in Exeter township as well and I have SECV for Internet and Phone. They do have 8 downstreams and 3 upstreams bonded with docsis 3.0 modem. It has the potential to be super fast but to pay a ginormous amount for 50/10 just ain't gonna happen here. Because I don't have TV through them, I have 12 meg down by 1 meg up. Speeds are consistent and on the dot all the time. Unfortunately theres no "Powerboost" despite there being plenty of bandwidth available.

For TV they have a real nice selection of HD - more than Comcast in Reading actually. Though I have DirecTV purely because their equipment, operating system and features are far supierer. DirecTV is better for TV IMO because:
Whole home DVR
Remote program DVR from web / mobile apps
Watch select on demand content and live TV on iPad or iPhone.
HD UI featuring full resolution cover art, Pandora radio and YouTube on your TV through the DVR.
Larger hard drive and more efficient MPEG4 recording so you can store more DVR programs
CE program and DBSTalk.com are great ways to test new firmware and participate in cutting edge software releases.
HD channels on same number. For example type in 10 and it is AUTOMATICALLY in HD. SD duplicates are hidden by default.
TVApps and on screen games.
HBOGo, MAXGo, Showtime Anytime

If interested PM me and I'll give you my acct number and we'll get you setup with DirecTV through the refer-a-friend program. We would both get an additional $10 off a month for 10 months. Plus there's loads of new subscriber discounts on top of that which you would be eligible. The new Genie DVR is a free promo and you can record up to 5 things at once and even bring up Picture in Picture.

So while SECV has good programming lineup, the features of DirecTV are far better. I wouldn't be caught dead in that archaic SD I-Guide again.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to pb5053

I notice your not registered so you can't PM me.

This should be the link to sign up with DirecTV through the refer-friend program. That will get you an extra $100 off the already generous new customer promos and free genie DVR!

Save an extra $10/month for 10 months on @DIRECTV with my link. You’ll love DIRECTV! »refer.directv.com/a/clk/1GGDgy

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD
reply to pb5053

Choosing a product just for the guide seems a bit superficial to me.

If you really want a different guide so bad, you can always go TiVo or CableCard.

Will SECV ever launch all the premiums? That's really the only hole in their HD lineup, they're loaded on network content.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

2 edits

If you have to actually USE the product, then yes, that factors into my decision.

While both an Audi S4 and a Pontiac Aztek can both get you to work and back... the fit, finish, comfort and styling of the Audi S4 makes it a much better and satisfying product to drive!

It's not just the guide though, it's the whole package.
-Ipad app with live and on demand streaming
-Iphone app with live and on demand streaming
-HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, MaxGo
-Set DVR to record from anywhere (mobile app or web)
-IP Control and a slew of DirecTV remote control apps for mobile
-2-way RF Remote
-Whole home DVR
-Record up to 5 things at once and Picture in Picture with Genie
-Expand DVR with eSATA drive
-Pandora radio on TV through DVR
-YouTube on TV through DVR
and then if that's not enough.... 1080i/720p guide with cover art, smart search, and high res custom branded VOD screens per channel.

Tivo is an interesting suggestion for SECV. I think it would be more viable if SECV leased the Tivo Q and streamers like RCN and Suddenlink. I don't want to buy any equipment, and if it goes bad or outdated the provider should exchange it. I'm not so sure if you can customize your channel list with Tivo... can you? Can you tell it to hide all SD versions of channels already carried in HD? Can you have it auto tune HD (like say you type in '10', does it show channel 10 in HD - assuming it's carried in HD?)

New HD this year on DirecTV so far
204 Headline News HD • Test mode 01.11.2013 • Est Arrival 01.31.2013
232 Cooking Channel HD • Test mode 01.11.2013 • Est Arrival 01.31.2013
253 Lifetime Movie Network HD • Added 01.24.2013 •
271 H2 HD • Test mode 01.11.2013 • Est Arrival 01.31.2013
304 TV Land HD • Added 01.24.2013 •
285 Investigation Discovery HD • Added 01.24.2013 •
541 Encore Action HD • Test mode 01.11.2013 • Est Arrival 01.31.2013
559 Independent Film Channel HD • Test mode 01.11.2013 • Est Arrival 01.31.2013

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to pb5053

The Birdsboro headend is undergoing a huge expansion project again. The building looks like it will be double the size. Not sure if its for more call center staff, warehouse space or broadcast gear, but something big is in the works.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

Cypher-
Not sure if I mentioned - they recently moved & massively expanded the Sunbury headend as well.

Moved it over to Route 11 between Sunbury & Danville - since they acquired the "CATV" MSO - they wanted to be equi-distant between the two systems.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Do they have a boatload of big dishes up there too? I swear they added a few more big dishes in birdsboro. Just wondering if they are all interconnected and if there is a primary receive site. If so it sure looks like Birdsboro is a major signal acquisition site. They also have a smaller building with a tower antenna in the Fleetwood, PA area. Thinking maybe it pulls in locals and back feeds it to Birdsboro for processing?

Anyway if with all the new added space they add systems to integrate TiVo Premire multi room systems with on demand working, I may consider switching. But they would have to add the rest of the premiums in HD as well.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit
reply to pb5053

Found a document from the township a year ago

"MINUTES
EXETER TOWNSHIP BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETING
APRIL 9, 2012

Service Electric Building Addition -Extension of Time
Mrs. Franckowiak briefly explained the reasons.
MOTIONby Mr. Smith, seconded by Mrs. Starr, to grant an Extension of Time for the Service Electric Building Addition Plan Recording Deadline due to a required revision to the plan to enlarge the addition. Motion carried unanimously."

I'll see if I can find any more info. Things like that are usually published as permits would be pulled for electrical, plumbing and fire inspection.

Edit: I think they are building a garage for their trucks.

"Service Electric Building Addition Plan Approval: At the December 5th Planning Commission meeting the Service Electric Building Addition Plan was reviewed and discussed. The Plan proposes a 21,098 sq. ft. garage addition to be located on an existing 8.16 acre lot at the southeast corner of Cardinal Drive and S.R. 422. The Planning Commission recommended plan approval subject to all outstanding issues being resolved and waivers received."

pb5053

@ptd.net

I just took a look at the rates for SECV this evening and saw they increased the speed of Platinum (what I have) from 12/1 to 20/2 and increased the download cap by a whole 100gb.

I think its effective May of this year however. Still, that's pretty sweet as I was hitting 98/99 of my 100GB a month.

gutch

join:2003-01-16
Tamaqua, PA

1 edit

Where at exactly do you see this rate increase? It appears they have different rates for all of their areas.

Never mind I found it. Looks like us on the Mahanoy City will be waiting a little bit longer.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to pb5053

Wow nice! Too bad I can't get 30/3 with the access pack. I have 12/1 now with access pack so it looks like I will go to 20/2. It's about time, they had 8 downstream and 3 upstream bonded for awhile now. I would of liked a little more upload though. Going to wideband 50 is just way too expensive for my tastes.

Expand your moderator at work