Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to medbuyer

MVM

to medbuyer

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by medbuyer:

even he himself admitted that only some will be active...it's not like he's gonna have 10 to 12 hardwired devices in one or every room

You are looking at it from a different point of view. Your view seems to be that if you spend money on installing those cables you want to get some benefit/use out of them. That is of course a perfectly valid point of view, but not the one I'm using to look at it (and by the sound of it pandora See Profile too).

The alternate point of view is that for those 2 to 4 networked devices that actually end up in the room there is going to be a conveniently close outlet that can be used without running a long patch cord across the entire room. There clearly is an added cost for this convenience and in my own home I only have one cable drop (two outlets) per room (retrofitting an old home is just too much work or too expensive). That doesn't stop me from wishing I had many more, especially when I have to use one of those mini-switches. Those mini-switches tend to block several power outlets with their external power supplies which then means I no longer have the power outlet I need for the network device I want to attach (this means using a power-strip for an even bigger mess of cables).
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by leibold:

said by medbuyer:

even he himself admitted that only some will be active...it's not like he's gonna have 10 to 12 hardwired devices in one or every room

You are looking at it from a different point of view. Your view seems to be that if you spend money on installing those cables you want to get some benefit/use out of them. That is of course a perfectly valid point of view, but not the one I'm using to look at it (and by the sound of it pandora See Profile too).

The alternate point of view is that for those 2 to 4 networked devices that actually end up in the room there is going to be a conveniently close outlet that can be used without running a long patch cord across the entire room. There clearly is an added cost for this convenience and in my own home I only have one cable drop (two outlets) per room (retrofitting an old home is just too much work or too expensive). That doesn't stop me from wishing I had many more, especially when I have to use one of those mini-switches. Those mini-switches tend to block several power outlets with their external power supplies which then means I no longer have the power outlet I need for the network device I want to attach (this means using a power-strip for an even bigger mess of cables).

for 2-4 or even 6 devices in one room, wouldn't 3 or even 4 outlets in each wall with 2 cat6 runs be more than enough so that you won't need a switch or anything else that you need to have power nearby?

and again with planning, you can locate those outlets in a good location such that you won't be running long patch cords unless you got a room the size of a football field.
said by robbin:

When I was growing up I rearranged my room on a regular basis -- sometimes multiple times per year.

and how many ethernet outlets did you have back then?

you did your own room and that's fine, whatever suited to your zen space is what's important right.