spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rshapiro
@verizon.net

rshapiro

Anon

Want to switch from MoCa to CAT5, no STB's, just TiVo

Trying to see if this scenario was covered in faq and I don't see it. I have been using Fios happily for several years. Was recently chatting with a coworker about how I can't use the "guest mode" of my N router as it's not the primary router, the Actiontec is. He said, well, you don't need to use the actiontec as primary, just enabled CAT5 and go straight to the ONT. I never realize this possibility and I do have the connection on the ONT, so I want to consider this scenario. I do not have ANY Verizon boxes, I have 3 TiVo Premiers on Cable card. So, I don't need their guide data, nor do I need their VOD. Can I completely eliminate the actiontec and put my net gear directly to the ONT? This would be fantastic if I could, as I don't enjoy having an unnecessarily complex dual router setup. Right now, actiontec handles the addressing, but has wireless disabled. Thanks...
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Video comes over the COAX port, so you need to still get COAX to your TiVO. As long as you get that and whatever you TiVo needs (i'm presuming CAT5 for your guide data there), then you should be good to go.

MoCA is only needed really if you need STB data, so then you need to bridge the cat5e network with the coax ones. This is something you shouldn't need to worry about in this scenario, if I'm understanding you correctly.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to rshapiro

MVM

to rshapiro
said by rshapiro :

Trying to see if this scenario was covered in faq and I don't see it.

Covered thoroughly here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Not clear from your post if the Actiontec WAN connection is or coax. If via coax, then you'll have to have the cat5 port on the ONT activated:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
said by rshapiro :

Can I completely eliminate the actiontec and put my net gear directly to the ONT?

Yes
smrtech
join:2009-09-21
Springfield, PA

smrtech to rshapiro

to rshapiro
I have your identical situation with Tivo. No STB for me.
Works perfectly fine.

I have my own router into the Tivo boxes, you can
use your own router and don't have to bridge
them if no MoCA is needed.

I have ethernet right from ONT to the router. All
works just fine. You may have to call support to
enable the ethernet port and just use the Coax for
video.

Be careful about swapping routers. If you have any issues

Keep the FIOS router nearby, if you have any issues at all,
they will make you put it back to troubleshoot it. What
a pain that is...
tvdrew
join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC

tvdrew

Same here. Installed originally that way . . . I don't even have the Verizon router. Just cat5 to my router, and coax to the various Tivos.

rshapiro
@verizon.net

rshapiro to rshapiro

Anon

to rshapiro
One last question, as I may do this today. The replacing the actiontec FAQ says to call FSC and verify on the Actiontec that the connectivity is Ethernet not COAX, so is this necessary to do prior to switching to my router? Or should I call them, disconnect, and replace in one fell swoop. I am not sure how long it will take to pull a new public IP once the actiontec is replaced.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by rshapiro :

should I call them, disconnect, and replace in one fell swoop.

No. The method in the FAQ is there for a reason.

The reason to have the Actiontec come up on ethernet first is that if there is any problem coming up on ethernet VZ will want to troubleshoot with the Actiontec in place on ethernet.

It can take two hours to acquire a new DHCP lease if you don't properly release it as described in the FAQ.

rshapiro
@verizon.net

rshapiro

Anon

ok, thanks a lot More Fiber! This forum is amazing, i'll let you know how cutover goes...

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to rshapiro

MVM

to rshapiro
said by rshapiro :

should I call them, disconnect, and replace in one fell swoop.

Another reason is that if you want the ONT set up for ethernet and you've physically hooked it up, but the Actiontec is still WAN-connected by coax, when FSC makes the switchover, your downtime is minimal. Usually, they force a reboot on the router, and voila, it's done. Once the ONT is switched over to ethernet, then you can do the rest at your convenience.

If you post in the VZDirect forum, you don't know when they will make the change, and you sure don't want to be waiting for it to happen. Watched pot boiling and all.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

1 recommendation

grobinette to rshapiro

MVM,

to rshapiro

(topic move) Want to switch from MoCa to CAT5, no STB's, just Ti

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Using a managed switch with FIOS