uniqs
share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Draiman

Re: Attic flooring

1) Check with a structural engineer to see if the exiting joists can carry the load you intend to carry up there.

2) Install 2x lumber as blocking between the joists @ 24" OC if the joists are 8" tall, 36"OC if the joists are 10" tall, 48"OC if the joists are 12" tall. This will help transfer static load to adjacent joists and protect the ceiling below from cracking when the attic is loaded up.

3) I'd use 3/4" plywood (not OSB) 24" wide placed perpendicular to the direction of the joists. Don't forget to stagger any seams.

4) If you want to be able to lift the plywood floor in the future for any repairs, adding additional electrical or plumbing, then get some tubes of acoustic sealant and put a continuous bead of that on the top edge of the joists before you lay the plywood down. This will tend to stop any squeaking of the subfloor when you are walking up there. If you don't want to lift the subfloor in the future, use PL400 adhesive instead of the acoustic sealant.

5) Screw the subfloor down in both cases with proper full-thread wood screws - #8 or thicker - every 6-8".

6) Take the opportunity before you close the floor in to install any pot lights in the ceiling below if you want them.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by MaynardKrebs:

1) Check with a structural engineer to see if the exiting joists can carry the load you intend to carry up there.

The same joists carry a bathroom and 2 bedrooms right now.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by Draiman:

said by MaynardKrebs:

And storage can greatly exceed the load per square foot compared to living space. All depends on what you're storing, how close you'll pack it and how high it'll be piled.

Boxes of feathers, no issue. Boxes of barbell weights, not so easy.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by garys_2k:

said by Draiman:

said by MaynardKrebs:

And storage can greatly exceed the load per square foot compared to living space. All depends on what you're storing, how close you'll pack it and how high it'll be piled.

Boxes of feathers, no issue. Boxes of barbell weights, not so easy.

It's of no consequence either way. It was never in the scope of this thread to debate doing it or not. There's a 100% chance it's happening. The only question was lumber, OSB, or plywood.

After talking to the lumber yard they can rip plywood for me at no charge and will do 5/8" CDX (recommended size) for $26.99/ea including tax and delivery. That's within the SBA guidelines they said.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!
Expand your moderator at work