spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

NoHereNoMo

1 gbps

in all 50 states (even if it is in only 1 city--because that will happen anyway).

How about just getting 1 mbps to everyone in all 50 states? ...for something less than $20/mo? or maybe even "free" like Google's other option (5 mbps, just pay for the install)? (In other words, how about doing something that's actually hard to do*? ...something actually useful to at least someone? you know, like for those who can't get anything but dial-up ...if that?)

*Of course, doing anything at all is harder than simply saying "let's do this" ...which is about the extent of this "plan".

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

1 recommendation

MovieLover76

I agree, though I might up that to 8mbps. I can get 150/65 and I don't subscribe to it because I don't need that much. 50/25 is plenty for me.
Having 1Gbps isn't a high priority for me or the vast majority and I'm a pretty heavy user. 1Gbps connections will probably eventually become very commonplace, but with the current state of broadband in the US, they are just hype.

But that fact that so many areas of the country are stuck with 56k or Satellite as their only options is just wrong. Some for of wireline broadband should be available to everyone, and they need competition to ensure fair prices. Something which the FCC has utterly failed at.
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3 to NoHereNoMo

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

in all 50 states (even if it is in only 1 city--because that will happen anyway).

How about just getting 1 mbps to everyone in all 50 states? ...for something less than $20/mo? or maybe even "free" like Google's other option (5 mbps, just pay for the install)? (In other words, how about doing something that's actually hard to do*? ...something actually useful to at least someone? you know, like for those who can't get anything but dial-up ...if that?)

*Of course, doing anything at all is harder than simply saying "let's do this" ...which is about the extent of this "plan".

why bother with 1mbps, if your going to run a line to the house, might as well do the best money can buy, fiber goes for miles without needing to refresh the signal, no point in running copper once, then fiber later.
in romania, i can get 1gbps fiber connection out in the sticks, and they are a 3rd world country. copper never existed there because they were so late giving internet to people.
Expand your moderator at work
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to videomatic3

Premium Member

to videomatic3

Re: 1 gbps

Copper has already been run. Making it capable of pushing out DSL can be done for quite a lot less than running fiber. Eventually fiber could be needed, but for now there is no real reason to run it. It is far more important that people get some service of some kind.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to videomatic3

to videomatic3
You're missing my point--you're being too "literal", not enough "metaphorical". The FCC should be concerned about everyone being able to get "enough" (as in, "fast enough").