spc
Search similar:

uniqs

seandrom
@wideopenwest.com

seandrom

Anon

furnace doesnt come on

I have a furnace that does not turn on. The thermostat works properly. I find that if i cycle the main power switch on and off then the furnace will work. But after a few cycles of heat the problem comes back and i have to cycle the switch again to get heat. I have a electronic filter on the unit too. Im not sure of the condition of the filter. Furnace is at least 7 yrs old. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Electronic or just a bad filter unit? Thank you.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

We would need to know if it is electric, gas or fuel oil. Also the make and model numbers.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to seandrom

MVM

to seandrom
Without any viable information to work with, it sounds like your unit is going into a safety lockout. This condition could be a result of any number of reasons, and by powering it off and back on, that action alone resets the control, allowing a restart.

You need to have someone qualified to come and take look at it, ASAP.

It could be very minor, like cleaning residue from the flame sensor, or something more serious and potentially harmful.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to seandrom

Premium Member

to seandrom
said by seandrom :

Furnace is at least 7 yrs old. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Electronic or just a bad filter unit?

Our furnace is much older with no electronic filter but ... a few years ago something like this happened.

The HVAC guy came and changed the flame sensing element (aka thermocouple) and charged me $$$. If it happened again, I think I could do it myself.

I am curious how you are sure that the thermostat is working properly. Have you actually checked heat call relay tripping by adjusting the temperature settings?

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to seandrom

Premium Member

to seandrom
The last 3-4 times I've seen this issue with a gas forced air setup (you didn't say you have it, but I'm assuming) it has always been the little flame detector thing.