spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mhowie

join:2004-12-28
The Colony, TX

Just bought a home- what does this wiring mean?

I have attached a picture I took of the network panel box at the home into which I am moving. I would appreciate understanding what I can expect as a result of this wiring configuration. The rooms in the house all have faceplates with a combination of R45 and coax outlets (no real consistency- some have two coax, one R45, others have two R45 and one coax, and there is at least one that has two of both).

Anyway, I'm curious based on the photographic evidence if I am positioned to have both Time Warner Cable and Dish Network satellite service throughout the house with the wiring currently in place? I am coming from an older home where I was forced to go wireless outside of the room where the Internet (cable) entered the house and the modem resided. I would like to have a wired network throughout the new house if possible.

I don't know if the cable internet and satellite TV signals can be shared on the coax (or if this is even a relevant question given the wiring I have)?

I also don't know if the CAT 5e wiring is for telephone only with this particular setup or if it is ready to transmit data?

Thanks in advance for your analysis of what I have...and potentially- don't have.

--Howie

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

said by mhowie:

Anyway, I'm curious based on the photographic evidence if I am positioned to have both Time Warner Cable and Dish Network satellite service throughout the house with the wiring currently in place?

-I would like to have a wired network throughout the new house if possible.

I don't know if the cable internet and satellite TV signals can be shared on the coax (or if this is even a relevant question given the wiring I have)?

I also don't know if the CAT 5e wiring is for telephone only with this particular setup or if it is ready to transmit data?

- Based on what I can see, it looks like you should be able to swing both services. I *think* that I see two inputs for Coaxial. (Can you confirm?). If so, TWC will hook up as normal through the CSE outside on one input, Satellite will run a line to the outside CSE or to the panel box direct (less likely). From the Panel, you can choose which line get which service.

- You can not share cable TV/internet signals on the same line as Satellite. (Boo, hiss!) You'll have to choose one or the other on each line.

- The CAT5 is for both. One of those blocks is for phone, one is for Data. So the modem can reside in that panel, fed to the patch panel directly or to a router/hub first, then to the panel. (depends on the panel and on your needs)

- Your home alarm system also runs into that cabinet; it looks like the power block is plugged in there and the back feed for the line interrupt is there too.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Let me know if I can clarify any further!
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1
reply to mhowie

Looks like Cable comes in (silver spliter) and cables attached go to other rooms. _the Loose rg6 are wires to other room locations.

The Cat5 is for phone / the way it looks the Phone (rg11) is the main feed and the cat 5 is all plugged into allow the Voice path to each jack.

What you need to Do is look outside and see how many RG6 you having coming into the panel. One for Cable modem (placed inside the box /Attach a Router/ unplug the cat5's and plug them into the router as needed (for wired connections to rooms) or Wireless Router may work also.

Dish Installer will have to run his RG6 from the Dish to the panel box then connect to the rg6 in the box.* only if not enough pre-wire to outside is there.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to mhowie

• Internet and Phone can use Cat5e (unless he runs both Cat5e for the Internet and RJ11 for the telephone - (dumb, but I have seen worse or just runs RG45 )

• Dish will need RG6 coax

If it were me, I would ask the contractor exactly what he is running and to where. It is better to fix it now before the wallboard goes up.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

mhowie

The Colony, TX

Thanks for the input thus far. It is helpful and provides some initial direction relative to what I might be able to accomplish.

@Irish Shark- unfortunately it is not new construction (4 yr. old home).

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to mhowie

If that's the entry point to the house - you could install the cable modem there and use the cat5e to get it your router.

You could install the router there as well. I didn't because I get horrible wireless as it would be in the basement.

mhowie

The Colony, TX

said by PhoenixDown:

If that's the entry point to the house - you could install the cable modem there and use the cat5e to get it your router.

You could install the router there as well. I didn't because I get horrible wireless as it would be in the basement.

That is the entry point as far as I can tell. So...if I send the cable modem output via cat5e to my (wireless) router in another room (that makes sense for the same reason you mention- wireless range), how would I then get the router output (LAN) back throughout the house to all the other rooms?

Thanks.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

With the wired router in the bsm't -you could install a wired (using a cat 5)access point upstairs that will provide signal to cover your other devices that are next to a cat 5 outlet.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
reply to mhowie

Best option is to run the modem and your existing WiFi router inside the cabinet.

- The output of the modem is connected to the input of the Router. You'll have WiFi through most of the area surrounding the cabinet. (basement/main floor)

- Connect the outputs of your router to the CAT5 Data block that's there in the panel. Each port may or may not be labelled with the room name (i.e. Master Bed, Lvg Rm, etc), so you may have to do some detective work by hooking up a line, then connecting to a laptop to see if there's a connection.

- The rooms that you connect will have a hardwired connection.

- In a room that is centrally located to the areas that you'll be using Wifi - say on the main or upper floor, hook up a Wireless Access Point ( often referred to as a Wireless A.P.) to the hardwired connection.

- You can purchase one at a reasonable price at monoprice.com for about $50.00.

- The AP will run in "Repeater Mode", which creates a seamless extension of your WiFi network. This should give you plenty of coverage depending on the size and construction methods of your home.

- Things like in-floor radiant heat, cement, steel paneling and microwaves/interference can seriously degrade the WiFi signal. Distance is the enemy as well. 50Mbs hardwired to the router might equal on WiFi: 35Mbs fifteen feet away and 7Mbs upstairs.
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"