An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Megaupload is back

»www.ghacks.net/2013/01/18/will-y···oad-site

Here is the site: »mega.co.nz

However No one should use this..... PROBABLY BEING RUN BY THE GOVT!!

They are sure stopping @ nothing blocking access to anything but the latest spying gadgets/browsers!

I tried changing my UA to look like Iphone,Blackberry,Chrome,IE9,etc and NOTHING WORKED!! (I got the message to update) -- The site must detect i am not actually on any of those (Thankfully (and grateful))

I wouldnt use it and dont recommend anyone else using it either!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3

1 recommendation

If no one should go there why did you post a clickable link?

Weenie

@nasa.gov

So you can not go there !

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

4 recommendations

reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:
If no one should go there why did you post a clickable link?

Because Dude111 is PROBABLY BEING PAID BY THE GOVT HOPING WE WILL CLICK THE LINK (COORDINATED DUDE111/GOVT SPYING GADGETS/BROWSERS INFILTRATION).

Oops keyboard/caps lock is hanging again, sh*t!
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.
Expand your moderator at work

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Re: Megaupload is back

Yeah, after they struck up a deal to collect all the IP's of users and give them to authorities in exchange for no prosecution.

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Anon

Sometimes the Dude's enthusiasm gets the better of him.

The megaupload site is simply not ready for prime time yet, as they mention on their web page.

Just for you Dude, I tried accessing the megaupload site using various browsers from various parts of the planet.

They indeed are not 100%.

KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT, BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!
--
"But the world is full of annoyances; if we killed all of our annoyances, there would be nobody left" - John McAfee

Grail Knight
Qui audet adipiscitur
Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to Cartel

So what are you saying they somehow acted differently then others that face fines or jail time?
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

baess

join:2011-01-28
reply to bitemeboy

Was able to sign up using IE9. IE8 was a no go. They recommend an "upgrade" to Chrome.

I'm not planning to do any file uploading until I hear/research a bit more about this. But I figured I'd grab the free 50GB just in case.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Dude111

While the whole sordid story of KimDotcom leaves a bad taste, there are news bits worth reading.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

2 recommendations

reply to Dude111

downloadIllegal-Cont···Plus.zip 9,538 bytes
No danger zone
said by Dude111:

I wouldnt use it and dont recommend anyone else using it either!

Used correctly, there will be ZERO security differences between any of the file transfer services available today.
If you worry about who or what may access your file transfers the problem is with how your transferring the files not with which service you're using.
File encryption levels the playing field, taking out the unknown factors.
For example the attached archive is just as safe sitting here in this forum as it would be sitting @mega or anywhere else.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to baess

quote:
Was able to sign up using IE9.
What was the UA you used? -- I tried all kinds of different UA for different browsers and none worked!!!!! (I was just curious to see thier site,i wasnt gonna register)
Expand your moderator at work

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:
I was just curious to see thier site,i wasnt gonna register)

WE TRULY BELIEVE YOU! oops again that nasty keyboard prob
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re: Megaupload is back

Why are people signing up with this junk?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

said by Dustyn:
Why are people signing up with this junk?

Maybe to support Kim Dotcom by way of filling up his pockets again?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub
reply to Dude111

Some to consider:

said by IDG News Service :
Doubt cast on the security of Kim Dotcom's Mega service

Kim Dotcom's bold new venture, the file-storage and sharing service Mega, is drawing criticism as security researchers analyze how the site protects users' data. In short, they advise: don't trust it.
Source/more: »www.networkworld.com/news/2013/0···997.html
--
»bit.ly/V5mACB - How-To: Destroying a faulty keyboard

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

said by Smokey Bear:

Some to consider:

Kim Dotcom's bold new venture, the file-storage and sharing service Mega, is drawing criticism as security researchers analyze how the site protects users' data. In short, they advise: don't trust it.

My bullshit is better than their bullshit.

Q. Why is Mega not to be trusted?
A. Because Mega uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)
Q. Isn't SSL traffic more secure than plain text traffic?
A. The problem is that SSL has long been recognized as a weak point on the web.
Q. Yes, but isn't SSL traffic more secure than plain text traffic?
Q. Yes, but is this an SSL issue or a Mega issue?
Q. Does your research conclude that plain text should be trusted more than SSL?
Q. I'm getting a little scared, how can I protect myself?
Q. Are there any other reasons why Mega should not be trusted?
A. If Mega's servers were compromised, it would also be possible for an attacker to deliver modified, malicious JavaScript, said Nadim Kobeissi, developer of the encrypted instant messaging program Cryptocat. It would also be possible for Mega itself to deliver malicious code.
Q. Original, clever cutting edge research.
Where's the sarcasm button around here?

Q. Anything you haven't mentioned that you'd like to conclude with?

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

reply to Smokey Bear

quote:
as security researchers analyze how the site protects users' data
Why would you trust any site to protect your data.
If you're not capable to protect your own data, well sure, pass it off to someone you trust, LOL.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

said by Smokey Bear:

Some to consider:

My bullshit is better than their bullshit.

Q. Why is Mega not to be trusted?
A. Because Mega uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)
Q. Isn't SSL traffic more secure than plain text traffic?
Q. Yes, but isn't SSL traffic more secure than plain text traffic?
Q. Yes, but is this an SSL issue or a Mega issue?
Q. Does your research conclude that plain text should be trusted more than SSL?
Q. I'm getting a little scared, how can I protect myself?
Q. Are there any other reasons why Mega should not be trusted?
A. If Mega's servers were compromised, it would also be possible for an attacker to deliver modified, malicious JavaScript, said Nadim Kobeissi, developer of the encrypted instant messaging program Cryptocat. It would also be possible for Mega itself to deliver malicious code.
Q. Original, clever cutting edge research.
Where's the sarcasm button around here?

Q. Anything you haven't mentioned that you'd like to conclude with?

tl;dr? In order to be totally safe, turn off your computer.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to siljaline

By itself, a global method of identifying specific data doesn't necessarily mean anything; however, the implication is that a uniquely identifiable thing can be derived from any given piece of data. This returns some burden to Mega—rather than throw up its hands and say that it has no idea what Mega users Alice or Bob have in their Mega accounts, there apparently is a way of telling whether or not Bob and Alice have the same file or files. If the MPAA gets wind that Bob is hosting a copy of The Hobbit: An Unexpectedly Long Movie in his Mega folder, and Alice also happens to have the same file in her Mega folder, it's trivial to prove that Alice has the same file—in fact, the nature of deduplication means there's some record of every deduplicated block, and therefore every other infringing user.

Was wondering how long an upload folder with particular file sizes will take to be reported suspicious
--MY bleedingly obvious meter was off the charts

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

Hands off linux distro archive!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ashrc4

Sorry, ashrc4 See Profile, I cannot answer that.

--
In nòmine Patris, et Fìlii, et Spìritus Sancti

ashrc4
Premium
australia

1 edit

said by ashrc4:

Was wondering how long an upload folder with particular file sizes will take to be reported suspicious
--MY bleedingly obvious meter was off the charts

said by siljaline:

Sorry, ashrc4 See Profile, I cannot answer that.

No worries it seems that Mega already has;

»www.computerworld.com/s/article/···warnings

The file-sharing service Mega has fielded 150 copyright warnings since its recent launch as founder Kim Dotcom grows a risky new business while under indictment by U.S. prosecutors for running Megaupload
Mega cannot determine the content of files stored. But it will remove content upon receiving a valid notification of copyright infringement.

It would appear that the new "Model" is doomed to fail for several reasons for sharing copyright material;
Mega-search.me is collecting links to similar files and allowing it to be searched.
People that have had content removed are going to sh@t themselves and move on.
The weakest link is similar files will get flagged by "common name" of file and size."

therube

Randallstown, MD

> doomed to fail for several reasons

The first being that the (mega.co.nz) service sucks. Or at least I haven't figured it out yet. Uses Flash. Downloads to who knows where, if it downloads at all. No control on the users end as to download location or file naming. Have not been able to download at all using Mozilla browsers?

»mega-search.me/

quote:
En raison d'un script développé par Mega pour supprimer l'intégralité des fichiers indexés sur Mega-search, le moteur est momentanément indisponible. Une solution pour palier à ce problème sera apportée d'ici peu.

quote:
Due to a script developed by Mega to delete all files indexed Mega-search, the engine is temporarily unavailable. A solution to overcome this problem will be made shortly.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to ashrc4

Pirates beware: Kim Dotcom's Mega isn't the safe haven he says it is

quote:
Immediately after it launched, there was speculation that the new Mega was a front, a way for Dotcom to ignore US authorities and slip right back into the piracy game. Mega's lowest paid tier is a whopping 500 GB a month — far beyond the needs of any ordinary user, but appropriate if you’re trafficking in bootlegged blockbusters. Even the site’s description, "Mega is a so-called cloud storage provider," (emphasis ours) suggests that Dotcom has his fingers crossed behind his back.

The US Attorney’s office, which is prosecuting the case against Megaupload and attempting to extradite Dotcom from his home in New Zealand, declined to comment on the new Mega. They didn’t seem exactly pleased, however, pointing us to an affidavit in which Dotcom said under oath that, "I have no intention and there is no risk of my reactivating the Megaupload.com website or establishing a similar internet-based business during the period until the resolution of the extradition proceedings."

When asked about this sworn statement, Dotcom’s California-based attorney, Ira Rothken, defended his client: "Kim Dotcom is innocent, is presumed innocent, and is entitled to innovate and work in technology like any other innocent New Zealander."

But many, especially anti-piracy advocates, are skeptical when Mega claims to be a competitor to services like Dropbox and Google Drive in the completely legal business of personal cloud storage.
Article

ashrc4
Premium
australia
reply to therube

Dotcom was apparently blocking it.

»www.theage.com.au/technology/tec···p92.html

quote:
Mega's quick response might be a sign that Dotcom's new company is really serious about copyright, and wants to avoid being shut down like Megaupload.

Another reason to doubt it's success.

therube

Randallstown, MD
reply to siljaline

quote:
Immediately after it launched, there was speculation that the new Mega was a front, a way for Dotcom to ignore US authorities and slip right back into the piracy game. Mega's lowest paid tier is a whopping 500 GB a month — far beyond the needs of any ordinary user, but appropriate if you’re trafficking in bootlegged blockbusters.

Of course it will be used in that manner.
But then is there any service like it that the same does not happen with?
We all know the names & what will be found where.

So theverge (or any other mag) can take the same article & change the name from mega to rapidshare or to whoever. It still all applies.

And of course there are "legitimate" hosters or are users who do want to use a particular host for legitimate purposes, but the majority want it for other reasons.

I would love to have a huge block of space in lala land to store, backup my stuff. And if it were on mega.co.nz or google or amazon or wherever makes no difference to me, so long as I'm able to access & use the service efficiently. (So far I haven't found that place.)

As far as the 500 GB, that is more marketing then anything else. 99% of users would never using anything near that. So if they "offer" that, it sounds great but for most its immaterial. May some use it, sure.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by therube:

So theverge (or any other mag) can take the same article & change the name from mega to rapidshare or to whoever. It still all applies.

or DropBox or Google Drive,
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to therube

said by therube:

As far as the 500 GB, that is more marketing then anything else. 99% of users would never using anything near that. So if they "offer" that, it sounds great but for most its immaterial. May some use it, sure.

As an extension of the local drive 500GB in the cloud is about foreseeing capacity by looking at recent history.

"The capacity of hard drives has grown exponentially over time. When hard drives became available for personal computers, they offered 5-megabyte capacity. During the mid-1990s the typical hard disk drive for a PC had a capacity of about 1 gigabyte.[6] As of January 2012, desktop hard disk drives typically had a capacity of 500 to 2000 gigabytes, while the largest-capacity drives were 4 terabytes"
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of···k_drives

Data will expand to fill it's allotted space.