Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fcisler

Re: Garage addition

said by fcisler:

NOT TEXTURED!

For the love of everything repairable!

Once you "texture" it it's a PITA the clean. Repairs are also ALWAYS noticeable.

My living room is HALF textured. Why? I have no clue. This leaves me two options: Scrape all the texture off or texture the rest. Without knowing WHAT they used to texture it's going to be almost impossible to match it.

Oh...I chose the third option. Lay new drywall over the old

What they said was the texture is just how the skim coat over the drywall looks after being applied. If you want it smooth they sand it down so an extra step.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by Draiman:

What they said was the texture is just how the skim coat over the drywall looks after being applied. If you want it smooth they sand it down so an extra step.

Just tape the seams and forget about skim coating the rest of the drywall, that's what paint is for.

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Draiman

They feed you a load of bull.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by DarkLogix:

They feed you a load of bull.

Except the BI said the same thing as do the DIY sites. Textured you don't sands the 3rd and 4th skim coats and smooth you sand the 3rd and 4th coat.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

From what I've been told you just use a different roller, and it can get hard to make it totally smooth this was as it can run a little, but possible if careful.
--
»Death Star Petition

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Coma

said by Coma:

said by Draiman:

Just tape the seams and forget about skim coating the rest of the drywall, that's what paint is for.

Yea that's the other school of thought. The BI said he wouldn't sign off on the firewall with just that done so it was skim coated. I guess it really doesn't matter if the interior garage matches the hallway and upstairs of the garage though.

I was reading up and textured sucks if you ever want wallpaper so I'm doing the walls smooth whether that's skim coat and sand or just leave the drywall bare and only mud the seems/corners/edges/etc.

If I go the skim coat route I'm paying someone to do the work where as if it's just seem/corner/edge mudding I'd do the drywall work myself.
--