uniqs
share rss forum feed

shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to briandesousa

Re: Unotelly

I'm cheap and want everything to work, so I got the cheapest VPS I could find (lowendbox is great for that) and setup openVPN there. VPN into the box and you are in whatever country the box is in. Done. Everything works and always will forever.

Preferrably, you find a VPS that is unlimited or high bandwidth. openVPN doesn't use much else in the way of resources, so those super tiny 64 MB/3 GB disk VPSes are even overkill for it.

Did I mention there usually deals where you can get a VPS like that for $12 a year?

One other thing to mention: Use google for your DNS if you do the above (or any other public DNS--or even your VPS provider's DNS, if you like, or even run your own caching nameserver). If you use your own local DNS or your connection provider's DNS, it's not going to work for obvious reasons.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON

said by shepd:

I'm cheap and want everything to work, so I got the cheapest VPS I could find (lowendbox is great for that) and setup openVPN there. VPN into the box and you are in whatever country the box is in. Done. Everything works and always will forever.

Preferrably, you find a VPS that is unlimited or high bandwidth. openVPN doesn't use much else in the way of resources, so those super tiny 64 MB/3 GB disk VPSes are even overkill for it.

Did I mention there usually deals where you can get a VPS like that for $12 a year?

One other thing to mention: Use google for your DNS if you do the above (or any other public DNS--or even your VPS provider's DNS, if you like, or even run your own caching nameserver). If you use your own local DNS or your connection provider's DNS, it's not going to work for obvious reasons.

This is exactly what I do and it has a bunch of additional benefits. I took an old laptop I had (Core Duo, 2GB, 120GB Hard drive) and installed CentOS on it and set up OpenVPN. I got a $15/year VPS out of Chicago and paid for it with a pre-paid CC and not my own name/info. I set up OpenVPN between the laptop and the VPS service and set that internet connection as my default gateway. I've got 1000GB bandwidth per month from the VPS - that would be 500GB to me, and 500GB out to the internet - WAY more than enough for my needs.

I have two WiFi routers on my LAN here at home - one called "Canada" and one called "USA" - if I connect to Canada, it just uses my DSL modem as my internet connection. If I choose "USA" it uses the laptop's OpenVPN tunnel as its default route, and uses google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server. This lets me select how I'm online just by choosing my Wifi access point. The PS3 and XBox are "permanently" in the "USA". My laptop is in Canada for work, in the US for "play".

Other benefits - I can torrent all I want and if anyone subpoenas the IP address I've been torrenting from - well it's an IP in a data centre that belongs to Joe Schmoe from Puerto Rico. I've got a level of privacy from people GeoIP tracking my web surfing, I get US netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc.. and all it costs me - the electricity to keep that laptop running (about 30W, probably 250kW/yr, about $25) and the $15 for the VPS server. Not bad - $40/yr to basically be relatively anonymous, and appear to come from the US.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

That's a pretty awesome setup!