Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

[My Review] Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Heat Pipe

I run an overclocked (~15%) AMD Phenom II X6 1045T on an ASUS Crosshair V Formula Mother Board. I also do distrubuted computing for Team Helix. I run all 6 cores at 100% 24/7 and this makes for a lot of heat, as you all know. So I went with the Cooler Master and as you can see from the discounted price they are having a bit of trouble getting rid of them. Here's why.

It's easy enough to install, if you can access the back of the mobo, which I couldn't on the Antec 300 case. Nevertheless, I needed a heat pipe. It keeps the CPU down to 44°C; nice and cool - no complaints there.

The problem with this manufacturer is the quality of the CPU Fan (made in China). Although Cooler Master Warranties their parts for 2 years, this is quite useless when the CPU Fan has a mean time between failure of about 3 months. The bearings wear out and the fan begins to slow down from it's normal speed of ~2000rpm until the system shuts down due to CPU Fan Failure. It takes Cooler Master nearly 2 weeks to get a new fan to you; A long time to be without your system.

In conclusion, if you're looking for quality in a heat pipe, you might want to consider a manufacturer other than Cooler Master.

What I could use now is a quality 120mm CPU fan. Any suggestions?
--
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ~ Nikola Tesla

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Fan brands I personally recommend are here:

»Re: Need non-buzzing 120mm fan

Keep in mind my primary focus when it comes to a fan is silence, not MTBF or "reliability".

Pretty much every tech product is made in China, Taiwan, Korea, or Japan these days, so complaining about the country of manufacture has little to do with anything -- who decides what quality parts to use is up to the company that engineers (designs) the device. Likewise we in the US can (and often do) manufacture just as sub-par-quality products. TL;DR -- don't pick on China, they're just doing what their client told them to build and with the parts their client told them to use.

Given the easy-to-replace nature of fans, it's worth spending a bit of time finding one that meets your needs, then buying 2 or 3 of them to keep as spares. I've done this for years without any complications.

Other folks like aurgathor See Profile tend to actually repair fans rather than replace them (depends on what the issue is of course), which is just as valid of a solution too:

»Re: Year old Sapphire graphics card fan

HTH.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by koitsu:

they're just doing what their client told them to build and with the parts their client told them to use.

Yes, you're right about that.

Thanks for the link.
--
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ~ Nikola Tesla

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Scilicet

I have three Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF units which are not appreciably different from the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I think the only difference is the fan and native LGA2011 support for the EVO version. I’ve probably spent something like ~$20 for each unit and never had a fan failure with the oldest unit being several years old.

I think the LGA2011 kit for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cost something like ~$3 to ~$5 USD and the assembly does a fairly good job cooling my Intel Core i7 3930K CPU.

For what its worth, I also have four Antec 300 cases. Some versions of the Antec 300 have an opening in the motherboard tray to allow for bolt-through HSF installation / removal.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

said by Octavean:

For what its worth, I also have four Antec 300 cases. Some versions of the Antec 300 have an opening in the motherboard tray to allow for bolt-through HSF installation / removal.

That sure is a handy "feature" on cases. Wish it were a ATX standard for ALL cases to have it. Makes installing after market cooler brackets & hardware SO much easier.

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Octavean

The stock fan on the Hyper 212 EVO is rated for 40,000 hours; >1666 days. I'm only getting ~90. I went with the recommendation by koitsu See Profile. I ordered the Noctua NF-F12 PWM rated at 150,000 hours. Cooler Master is sending yet another stock fan that I'll just stick in the junk drawer as a back up.

My Antec 300 does have an opening for HSF brackets, but it's too small to be of any use. I have to pull the board.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Scilicet

said by Scilicet:

In conclusion, if you're looking for quality in a heat pipe, you might want to consider a manufacturer other than Cooler Master.

What I could use now is a quality 120mm CPU fan. Any suggestions?

The CM Hyper 212+ is the most recommended CPU cooler here, PCPartsPicker, BaPC/Reddit, etc. Most reviews are done with stock fans, but I prefer using either the Noctua's or Yate Loon's with any cooler. I wouldn't touch any CM fans, for either cases or heat sinks. But it's hard to beat the efficient design of the HS.

Why would you bother with the shipping to RMA a fan??
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by Krisnatharok:

Why would you bother with the shipping to RMA a fan??

Well, there's no return of the fan to Cooler Master, they just send out a new one in about 7 business days and I won't wait that long. I picked up the Noctua NF-F12 at Micro Center this morning, swapped the mounting brackets, and I'm up and running.
--

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to rusdi

Its nice to have, except when your case was derp'd in construction and the cut out is in the wrong place and unusable.