share rss forum feed

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

Surface with Windows 8 Pro - Feb 9, 2013

Surface with Windows 8 Pro is all new, and yet you can do everything you’ve ever done on your PC. Touch-enhanced applications run as smoothly as your favorite desktop software, so you can work the way you want.

Coming February 9, 2013 in the U.S. and Canada.... »www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/···pro/home

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

I'm looking at the Surface Pro as an upgrade possibility. It's pretty tempting. It's got the power of a laptop, the flexibility of a tablet, and the backwards compatibility of Windows 7, and the impressive Windows 8 Metro touchscreen interface all in one package. It could easily replace my laptop with its functionality... something I can't say for the iPad.

Not sure how this will do commercially, but there is a lot to like. I feel like this is exactly what Microsoft really designed Windows 8 for... and they want to make sure it's out there so folks can really see what it can do. I might bite for one of these... but I'll probably wait a bit and see how it performs before I do.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to chachazz

Have to see what the 128GB version is going for and then add the Type cover to that @ $129.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden

I just got back from Staples, and I played with the Surface RT. It's cool, but there was a lenovo convertible laptop for $750ish that was the complete package. I'm starting to think the Surface Pro is too expensive for what it is when other manufacturers like lenovo are in this space.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Shootist

said by Shootist:

Have to see what the 128GB version is going for.

Surface Pro with 128 is going to be $999.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to chachazz

I already have the Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 based PC tablet:

»www.asus.com/Tablet_Mobile/Eee_Slate_EP121/

Its now running Windows 8 Pro and in a lot of ways should be relatively comparable to the Surface Pro as well as other Windows 8 PC tablets. So I'll just stick with my aging hardware for now rather then be enticed by the Surface Pro or other Windows 8 Pro tablets.

The Surface Pro is actually cheaper then its predecessor Windows 7 PC tablets (of similar hardware class) so if anyone is shocked by the pricing they likely weren't looking at such devices much in advance of the Surface Pro.