spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

[CCNA] how to purhase hardware and determine IOS needed

Guys when looking at certifications like the ccna most people buy old hardware from ebay maybe 2620XM's or 2621XM's. So how do you know what IOS will run on the hardware you purchased now lets say in order to be able and go through a CCNA what IOS will you need? Now let's take that one step further what if the person wants to look at cvoice would they still be able to use the 2600 series or would they need to go to a different class of routers that supported a different IOS? So I guess I'm saying what IOS will support all the commands for the current CCNA and can you use that gear for cvoice.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
I would think the 2600's are getting a bit old now. Sure you can still use them for practicing EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, frame relay etc, but the non XM series I think IOS support stops at 12.3. XM probably not much beyond 12.4. So you risk not being able to play with some features if they were released in IOS 15, or after the last supported IOS.

The newer G1 ISRs (x800 series) will run IOS 15, and hence be much more "relevant" to modern and future exams. They also still work on the old IOS feature licensing model where the image you load determines the features you have. So you can still load an image packed with features without having to worry about licenses (the G2 ISRs have the universal image with features unlocked by licenses.)

I think Advanced Enterprise Services is still the bees knees. When it comes to features it supports *.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to watts3000
For any Cisco certification requirement and study info, Cisco website is always the first to visit to retrieve the updated info since Cisco has always been updating and revamping. Last time I check, having 1800 series routers and Catalyst 3560 switches for lab gears are sufficient in most cases. You can always rent or borrow equipments you are unfamiliar with only when you need them.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to watts3000
Cisco Feature Navigator

While Cisco doesn't list every feature of every image 100% correctly, it's best repository of knowledge you can get for free. CCNA isn't very hardware specific, so anything that has the IOS feature(s) you need will do for your lab. (I know a low numbered CCIE who still uses a stack of *white* 2500's)

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
said by cramer:

a stack of *white* 2500's

That brought back memories

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
We used to break out a few of those during job interviews. You can learn a lot about a prospective CCNA+ applicant by their reaction... Priceless!

We didn't ask stupid questions. We'd sit you in front of a few routers, give you a problem, and heckle from over the (4ft) cube wall. (the ISP world is a stressful place.)

(I think they were originally 3000 IGS's, but there aren't any numbers on them)

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to watts3000
Second most of what has been said. I taught CCNA and CCNP Switch until recently. We used 1841's for R&S and 2801's for Voice with 2950's for Layer 2 switching and 3550 for Layer 3 switches.
12.4 IOS's seem to be sufficient and I'm still buying 2960's with 12.5x from my re-seller for current projects. Routers are shipping with 15.1 and 15.2 Universal IOS's as mentioned, but what you learn on the old kit will be valid. All you have to get used to is the added features of the new IOS's, and it's not that hard if you break it down in to tasks that need accomplishing rather than looking at the network as a single whole unit. Cisco's site is great for having lots of information and config examples, but there is so much it can sometimes take longer than you might think to track down the right document.

If you are currently between jobs then 2600's and 2950's are cheap and will get you through a CCNA. 1841's and 2801's can be a little pricy, likewise 2960 switches and if you're on a budget, forget about gigabit anything. But if you have the cash, then the aforementioned 1841's or 2801 routers and 2960 switches are where I would be aiming. Go for the highest numbered IOS you can find, so 12.3, 12.4 or 15.x if you can find any second hand kit in budget with a 15.x IOS

And if I may, I'll add a little real world here... I learned more on my first network project in my current job than I ever learned bashing away at my CCNA studies, and every day is still a school day. The end of the CCNA is just the start...

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
I thought that was odd, too. Cat2960S's shipped with 12.4 code, but 15.x code is available (for free, no contract required.) Actually, I downloaded updated 12.4 code for c2950's that didn't require a contract either.

markysharkey
Premium
united kingd
I think my re-seller is shifting "old" stock.
Also worth noting is that 2960S's with 12.55 (and the one IOS previous to that) can do layer 3 static routing with multiple SVI's:
Switch(config)#sdm-prefer ip routing

is the command if I remember correctly. I've used them several times in networks where I don't need an IGP running. They also do DHCP. If you can grab one or two for a lab set up they'd be well worth it. Not cheap though :o

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
»www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6···son.html suggests they're layer-2 only. (and they don't even support static routes for mgmt.)

sw-R2-8#show ip route
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

sw-R2-8(config)#sdm prefer ?
default Default bias
lanbase-routing Lanbase routing

markysharkey
Premium
united kingd
reply to watts3000
sdm prefer lanbase-routing

That's the one. I wasn't sitting in front of one last night so my config was from my ever (un)reliable memory.

Enabling that allows multiple SVI's to exist rather than just a single management SVI, and any directly attached networks can be routed. You can Telnet / SSH into any of the SVI's to manage the switch. A default route can be added in the normal way too. I've deployed 4 of them recently with anither 3 in the pipeline for different projects where IGP's are not reuqired.
They are Layer 2 switches, but have certain routing features enabled. I really like them.

--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to watts3000
2600XMs will take 12.4T code, so long as you have enough flash and RAM.

As others have said, for basic CCNA -- routing / switching, encapsualation, etc. you don't need that much.
If you can, look into non-FE interfaces for your gear; just remember the world doesn't run only on xEthernet
connections.

Regards

watts3000

Guys so far I have a the below equipment

1 1841
2 2611 XM's
3 WSC2950C24
1 2520
2 WIC-1T

Also a friend has a Cisco 2811 that he is going to send me I plan to organize everything in a rack over the next week. So looks like I just need to get serious about studying by the way I will be using cbt nuggets and trian signal. Do you guys recommend any other books be it lab or general text?

markysharkey
Premium
united kingd
I think the kit you have will serve you foro a CCNA.
I'd like to see a Layer 3 switch in there if you have the funds.

I think Todd Lammles CCNA study Guide is about the best out there.
Youtube can be a good resource.
Any video (CBT nugget) by Jeremy Chiora is usually worth it's weight in gold.
www.subnettingquestions.com for practicing your subnetting, and whilst I do not agree with the practice of braindumping, www.9tut.com has some helpful info.
As mentioned before though, when sitting down with job candidates I can usually pick out brain-dumper from a candidate that has knowledge. There is no substitute for doing the labs and understanding them. If there is a lab you don't understand, open a training manual and re-do the lab whilst looking up the process or subject in the book. Make notes of what commands you execute, what they do and why they do it. And you will need to do each lab multiple times. Practice until you are sick of it, then practice some more.
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to watts3000
Definately sufficient for NA studies. Not too familiar with what a 2520 can do, if you can use it as a frame relay
switch, you'd be laughing. 1841 and 2811 should also serve you well if you choose to play with VOIP.

Layer 3 switches aren't needed until NP. If you do have the funds, they're fun to pick up though.

Regards

watts3000

You are correct I bought the 2520 for frame relay. A little off topic here but at my currect job we run mpls is there any mpls labs on the ccna or is that high level stuff?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
I wouldnt think so.

CCNA is really about fundamental, base line knowledge. MPLS probably wouldnt come in to the mix until you start doing service provider exams.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to watts3000
Agreed... or if you wanted to do some MPLS stuff on the side.

Regards