spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BigChief

@sbcglobal.net

Cant connect Xbox360 wirelessly to 2Wire 3801HGV, help!

Now that my service seems to be finally back up... I cant seem to connect my Xbox to my wireless network on the 2Wire 3801HGV. I just had this service installed last friday and this has been a problem since day 1. My previous wireless network had no problems. I can connect my iphones, laptop, iPad wirelessly to the 2wire with no problems, but for some reason the xbox wont.

The 2Wire is currently in all default settings and security. I have tried lowering the security to WEP and that didnt work. I have tried doing it unsecured with no password, and it still wont connect. The xbox states it cant get an ip address. What am I missing or what do I have to do to get my xbox to connect wirelessly. Connecting it wired is not an option as the router is in a completely separate room.

Im kinda afraid to do anything right now on the router seeing as how everytime I do I lose service altogether do the outages affecting the area...

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4

I have encountered this before. Your best bet is to assign a static IP to your XBox as the the DHCP on the 2Wire is less than completely reliable.

Bigchief

@mycingular.net

Not sure how to do this.. I know enough to get into my routers configured page but not sure what to do from there.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to BigChief

Router? Do you mean Gateway? The 3801HGV is considered a Gateway, not just a Router.

If you are talking about the Gateway, and you're really not sure what you are doing, better not to mess with it, although you should be able to assign a static address on the XBox itself, which the gateway will pickup as a static assignment.

Just make sure you don't assign an address that is already taken by another one of your devices, otherwise that will create a network conflict and result in both devices no longer working correctly.

Bigchief

@mycingular.net

Yes I am referring to the gateway. Any idea why i could connect wirelessly with my MacBook, iPhones, iPad, even my blu ray player, but not my Xbox?

amplif1er

@sbcglobal.net

its an MTU issue nothing u can fix

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to BigChief

If that is indeed the problem then it should be possible to adjust the MTU on one side or the other to make it work.

Dshipes1

@sbcglobal.net

You cannot adjust the MTU at this time. It has been throttled back to 576 for just about everyone.

Bigchief

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Paralel

I have no idea what mtu is. If its an mtu issue why can't I fix it? Can a tech fix it?

I tried doing a static ip with the Xbox. Didn't work. I was pretty sure I did it right based on directions i found online but can't be sure..

Also, I turned off the wireless on the gateway and plugged in my old wireless router to the gateway and set the firewall for the router to dmzplus mode in the gateway firewall settings. I now have wireless and wired Internet thru my old router with all of my previous devices connected EXCEPT the Xbox. Xbox still won't connect wirelessly.. Wtf. Again this issue didn't start with the Xbox until I switched to uverse Internet. I find it difficult to believe that the Xbox is the problem here.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to Dshipes1

I know for a fact that my MTU is not 576. I have several services that depend on an MTU of at least 1300 and work without issue.

Bigchief

@sbcglobal.net
reply to BigChief

Would this mtu issue cause the Xbox to come back being unable to obtain an IP address from the router?

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

I had issues awhile back trying to connect my Xbox360 with wireless N adapter (and Xbox360 S) to my older Airport Extreme router. I had to use ethernet, which was no problem since it was a 10-foot run.

I tried again to get wireless connectivity. If I remember correctly, I initially had it connect to the Airport via N on the 5 GHz band. I wound-up having to scale it back to G on 2.4 GHz band, and that worked.

Now that I have a dual-band capable Airport Extreme, my 360 S connects without issues. (Setting: 802.11n only 5 GHz, 802.11b/g)

Also, according to Xbox.com, there is connectivity problems with AT&T Uverse users and Xbox Live.
»support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

Dshipes1

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Bigchief

Go to your router and check the mtu on the status page. If you are having an Xbox issue you will likely see it set at 576. Mine is and so are many, many others. Go check the Xbox forums and you will see the same issue with everyone. It is also posted by Microsoft on the Xbox support status page. Definitely a know issue with MTU at this time.

Dshipes1

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Bigchief

»support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Bigchief

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Dshipes1

Would this mtu issue prevent my Xbox from obtaining an ip?

BigChief

@sbcglobal.net

I hate to even post this, but, i'm an idiot...

I had to reset the network configuration to default settings on the xbox. Something I completely looked over thinking it was the gateway's fault. After that I had no problems connecting to the gateway or my router's wireless networks. I decided to stick with using my old router and just using the gateway as a modem though, since I had already set it up... *Smacks forehead*