spc
Search similar:

uniqs
EmilGolen2
join:2000-09-25
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2

Disconcerting discovery with my plan

I've been having speed problems with my Elite 6Mbps service. Since my "repair" I'm getting at or under 4.5/0.3 where a few months ago I was getting 5.7/0.6 up/down.

I looked at my plan and now see that Elite 6Mbps is not available to me although I still have it !!!

Does this explain my downgrade in speed?

My service was spotty prior to the "repair" now it's just downright slow. I'm awaiting AT&T Direct response but I'm getting tired of messing with this, thinking I should move on.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

It is possible that when they "repaired" the line it was discovered that the line cannot indeed reliably support a 6 Mbps service. If that is the case then the services offered to that address would have been adjusted accordingly. As such, if you call AT&T, they may force you to a lower tier to resolve this issue if the field notes indicate that the line cannot reliably provide service at the 6 Mbps level regardless of repairs due to infrastructure limitations.
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to EmilGolen2

to EmilGolen2
Charter is in your area and internet only is exponentially faster 30Mb/4 for $30/mo for one year. You cannot touch that with anything DSL period.
EmilGolen2
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2 to Paralel

to Paralel
I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense.

I did try the 12Mbps service for a bit but my highest sync was marginal so that's why I'm at 6Mbps right now.

I have records of running 5.7/0.6 from Speedtest all last year (except for a few times) up to the date of the repair.

I'm just wondering what they could have changed while doing the repair to degrade my line further. My upload speed is now half what it used to be.

Thanks
EmilGolen2

EmilGolen2 to UverseTech2

to UverseTech2
Thanks for the info! I've been considering, it's just all my e-mail addy's would need to change but I may bite the bullet.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by EmilGolen2:

Thanks for the info! I've been considering, it's just all my e-mail addy's would need to change but I may bite the bullet.

To prevent this problem and future ones change your email addresses to one of the generic email providers, so if you change ISPs, you don't have to worry about changing email addresses. That's what most people do to make it easier to follow the cheaper rates!
EmilGolen2
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2

Great idea, I have Yahoo, maybe I'll change to that one!
Thanks

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to EmilGolen2

MVM

to EmilGolen2
said by EmilGolen2:

You will not lose your email addresses when you leave AT&T; they will just convert to free Yahoo! Mail in the AT&T domain you currently have. I left AT&T nearly two years ago; I can still use my '@pacbell.net' email addresses.
EmilGolen2
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2

Wow, even better news!
Sounds like my decision is a no-brainer at this point.
I'll wait for an AT&T response till Friday and if I'm not happy...
Thanks

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Msradell

MVM

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

To prevent this problem and future ones change your email addresses to one of the generic email providers, so if you change ISPs, you don't have to worry about changing email addresses. That's what most people do to make it easier to follow the cheaper rates!

The 'att.net' domain is available to non-AT&T customers through a
"generic email provider": Yahoo! Mail.

Despite leaving AT&T nearly two years ago, all of my 'pacbell.net' accounts still work through Yahoo! Mail.

All of the AT&T email domains will convert to Yahoo! Mail when the customer leaves AT&T service (unless they are canceled for non-payment).
EmilGolen2
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2

It just gets better and better!
Thanks
EmilGolen2

EmilGolen2 to UverseTech2

to UverseTech2
Unfortunately Charter does not cover me but Comcast does .
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to EmilGolen2

to EmilGolen2
If it's Comcast, I'd seriously mull it over before switching. For me AT&T is the far lesser of the two evils.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Paralel:

If it's Comcast, I'd seriously mull it over before switching. For me AT&T is the far lesser of the two evils.

I would find it a tough choice; sort of like choosing between cyanide and strychnine.
EmilGolen2
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2 to Paralel

to Paralel
I would have believed you a few months back when it was working so well but lately it's been driving me nuts.

Thanks though, I'm sure Comcast users have stories to tell too .
EmilGolen2

EmilGolen2

Well, decided I've had enough cyanide and I'm going to try strychnine .
It's unfortunate because I've had AT&T for as far back as I can remember, at least 12 years, but if they can't supply what I need then it's time to move on.
Hope it all goes well .
Thanks for everyone's help.