IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I pay for my content

Since iTunes launched in 2003, I've probably spent over $1000 in the iTunes Store since it launched in 2003. Not to mention the countless CDs I own. I also have a collection of videotapes, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs that I paid for. If I want to watch a movie once, I can get it with Xfinity on demand.

Green Day, Bruno Mars, and Lady GaGa don't perform for free. They get compensated for their work and their salaries are paid by music sales.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Not that I disagree with what you are saying but I thought startup bands get more revenue from their concerts which in turn drive music sales. But I didn't think music sales were the sweetest plum until later when(if) they get popular, their initial recording contract expires and they negotiate from a position of strength vs. luck.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by rradina:

Not that I disagree with what you are saying but I thought startup bands get more revenue from their concerts which in turn drive music sales. But I didn't think music sales were the sweetest plum until later when(if) they get popular, their initial recording contract expires and they negotiate from a position of strength vs. luck.

Still, the point is that even the companies that publish their records, put commercials on the air, and drive business their way deserve to be paid as well. I am all about supporting the band in anyway that I can. At the same time, I am not opposed to buying a CD or digital music media because a record company gets more money than the band does.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Their salaries are not paid by music sales. They get $$ from merchandise, publicity, music videos, concerts, etc. Yes, SOME of it comes from music sales, but a majority? I don't think so. The recording companies are the ones that get a large chunk of $$

syslock
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
La La Land

syslock to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Its funny as a lot of the artists now a days will give their products away for free as they make more money doing live concerts.