share rss forum feed

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX

Rogers cell phone woes (porting number)

My obligation ends with Rogers on feb 18th and I would like to port out my number to another phone. I called back in december to ask if I could just pay off the remaining rate that I would have owed (like $44) but was told I would incur a $100+ penalty in order to do so and that a 30 day notice was required.

So I waited until today to give my 30 days notice (to give me almost a week to port the number and fulfill my obligation) and was told this would not be possible as the 30 day notice will lock my phone from being ported. If I want to port the phone number I have to wait until feb 19 and pay another 30 days O_o

While I'm pretty sure this is not legal in Quebec to say I am livid after being a customer for over 10 years is an understatement, anyone have advise on what route I should take to get around this to avoid me calling back and yelling like a raving lunatic?

Pesterd

join:2013-01-22

I believe you simply go to the new provider and get them to port your number in. Rogers will automatically adjust your bill to x days you had their cell phone service in the billing cycle.

Dunlop

Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX

I was told specifically that I would be charged an additional 30 days from when I ported the number. Which is why I gave the 30 days notice now, I did not expect them to block the number from being ported when you did this.

It's amazing what these companies will do to extort the last penny out of you. I had no issue with Rogers and am porting due to a better deal elsewhere but that extra $30 will cost them a customer for life and I will go out of my way to steer other people from going with them now ; )

cidknee0

join:2009-02-28

Sadly they do require 30 days notice. If your contract is done, just (as it has been said) go to new provider and they can take care of it.

Once the number is ported it will automatically cancel with Rogers.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Dunlop

How to avoid paying for 30 days of service when porting a Rogers/Fido mobile number in Canada:

»misener.org/how-to-avoid-paying-···-canada/

Dunlop

Awesome read, thank you!