NetDog to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

said by NetFixer:

said by graysonf:

They will supply /60 to LAN on routers that will take it. See:

»Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

Enabling the IPv6 firewall is the only thing that changed on my side. The rest of the DIR655's IPv6 setup is the same, and the firmware is the same. Fortunately, I don't need (and wasn't depending on) the /60 assignment; but if I had been using it, I would have been pissed that something as simple (and normal) as enabling the IPv6 firewall would cause such a major change in my IPv6 addressing.

This is not a Comcast issue but a router issue, if your router doesn't support more then one LAN or network behind the WAN why would you need more then one /64?

My home router is a 3845, I have 5 LAN's off of it so yes I would request a /61 so I can enabled all my LAN's for native IPv6.

So the next question is why would I ask for a /60 (16 networks) when I don't need a /60 but a /61 (8 networks). This is just me but I would only ask for that I need..

/60 (16 Network)
/61 (8 Network)
/62 (4 Network)
/63 (2 Network)
/64 (1 Network)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by NetFixer:

said by graysonf:

They will supply /60 to LAN on routers that will take it. See:

»Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

Enabling the IPv6 firewall is the only thing that changed on my side. The rest of the DIR655's IPv6 setup is the same, and the firmware is the same. Fortunately, I don't need (and wasn't depending on) the /60 assignment; but if I had been using it, I would have been pissed that something as simple (and normal) as enabling the IPv6 firewall would cause such a major change in my IPv6 addressing.

This is not a Comcast issue but a router issue, if your router doesn't support more then one LAN or network behind the WAN why would you need more then one /64?

My home router is a 3845, I have 5 LAN's off of it so yes I would request a /61 so I can enabled all my LAN's for native IPv6.

So the next question is why would I ask for a /60 (16 networks) when I don't need a /60 but a /61 (8 networks). This is just me but I would only ask for that I need..

/60 (16 Network)
/61 (8 Network)
/62 (4 Network)
/63 (2 Network)
/64 (1 Network)

It would seem to me to be a Comcast issue when the router does support multiple IPv6 networks (I previously tested with my guest network behind it), and it used to get the /60 allocation but now it does not get it.

Comcast definitely used to supply the requested /60, but that suddenly stopped, and that is illustrated in the screen shots I previously posted. It is perhaps a total coincidence, but it happened after /60 vs /64 allocations were initially discussed in this forum in which I posted that I was getting a /60 assignment.

I had initially thought that perhaps enabling the IPv6 firewall in the router had caused this change, but I have since temporarily disabled the IPv6 firewall and rebooted the router, but I still only got the /64.

FWIW, "I" wasn't explicitly requesting a /60 allocation, the router was just getting it by default (I only have the option to enable/disable DHCP-PD). I don't currently need it (since I have a business class "c05" config file, my guest network can have its own totally isolated IPv4 and /64 IPv6 network), but I just thought that it was interesting that I used to automatically get the /60 allocation, but suddenly that stopped (for no reason that is apparent to me).

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

It would seem to me to be a Comcast issue when the router does support multiple IPv6 networks (I previously tested with my guest network behind it), and it used to get the /60 allocation but now it does not get it.

Comcast definitely used to supply the requested /60, but that suddenly stopped, and that is illustrated in the screen shots I previously posted. It is perhaps a total coincidence, but it happened after /60 vs /64 allocations were initially discussed in this forum in which I posted that I was getting a /60 assignment.

I PMed you my work email, send me your info like the DUID of your router and cable modem MAC..

But we are accepting anything up to a /60 via DHCP, but the route injection will not work on some CMTS's. I have tested this and I am using it so I know this works and doesn't work in some cases.

My config looks like this:

on My WAN
ipv6 dhcp client pd hint ::/61
ipv6 dhcp client pd prefix-from-Comcast

On my LAN's
ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::1/64

ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::1:0:0:0:1/64

ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::2:0:0:0:1/64

and so on...