uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

DSLR arena team on Mal'Ganis

So I was wondering if anyone was wanting to give ago at a DSLR arena team. I know Jobbie has said he wants to try to get into it. I'll be using my rogue. If there are people interested, I can set up some random bg's to grind out honor to get the dreadful gear, or just wait until 5.2 for the crafted to get changed. The new pvp changes will make it easy to catch to the current gear level. Skype will have to be used for the arena teams though.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
I am interested in this.

I just switched my warrior from fury/prot to fury/arms to start working on my pvp toon.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
reply to Cptbeatstix
I'm trying to see if it will be better to stay muti or go sub. I would have to completely remap my keybinds for arena though =(.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Now you need to bring a druid.

I heard Warrior/Druid is pretty good.

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
reply to Cptbeatstix
Honestly, I would roll a resto shaman. Shamans and mistweavers are op right now.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Cptbeatstix
I could bring a priest or druid. I'd like to get my warlock to 90 and make him my primary pvp character.

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
I might just level a shaman for the next few days, got nothing but time and will pretty much be doing resto/ele. Going to make an orc or troll. Sadly, I has no boa gear on mal'ganis....Might have to buy the 3 pieces from the guild vendor.....

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I could bring a priest or druid. I'd like to get my warlock to 90 and make him my primary pvp character.

Druid/Warrior/Rogue

Fun Fun Fun!
--

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
reply to Cptbeatstix
RAWR NEVER DIE!!!!!

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
reply to Cptbeatstix
Job, do you have the agi contender stuff for rogues? I'm just going to replace my 463 ilvl stuff with it. Just need shoulder, legs, gloves and boots I believe.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Yes I do, let me know what do you need and I will get it done.

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
reply to Cptbeatstix
If you got the leather, I'll just trade you a hide or two.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Cptbeatstix
From what I'm gathering, rsham/spriest/warrior is about cream of the crop right now.

Whatever comp you guys go with, I hope you have a blast.

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA
reply to Cptbeatstix
Actually I thought monks (mistweaver and windwalker both) were fairly underrepresented in arena and in need of a PvP buff which will be coming in 5.2.

Of course this by no means is to say you can't be successful as a mistweaver monk. In fact I play with one haha.

This is the first arena season I've really gotten into despite having played WoW for ages. Good luck dudes!
--
Eumaeus, Guardian/Balance Druid
GM - Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
[6/6] MSV [5/6] HoF

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by Eumaeus:

Actually I thought monks (mistweaver and windwalker both) were fairly underrepresented in arena and in need of a PvP buff which will be coming in 5.2.

Of course this by no means is to say you can't be successful as a mistweaver monk. In fact I play with one haha.

This is the first arena season I've really gotten into despite having played WoW for ages. Good luck dudes!

As Eumaeus knows, a good Mistweaver is nearly unkillable, by one person, while he has mana. Now, when two or more start focusing, it will still take effort to take him down.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to McBrain
Thanks man, I will start next week taking a break from PvE (LFR/Dailies) other than normal raids and work on my valor set.
--

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA
reply to Goggalor
They themselves are difficult to kill but the vast majority of their abilities may be purged including abilities that they have to build up several chi to apply (to establish how this differs from resto druid hots, for example). Also, having a constant channeled heal cast is horrific for getting spell locked. As is stands direct placing orbs under the feet of someone is one of the safer/stronger approaches to pvp healing it seems and that is ehhh.

Pretty much when facing a MW Monk plan to kill a dps first and you'll be far more successful.

Much of their cc requires them to dangerously go out into the open, making them vulnerable to cleaving or a dps swap. Also their some of their cc is positional based which is not particularly well designed when a character can change their facing so quickly, ruining the cc.

The patch will be very good to them.
--
Eumaeus, Guardian/Balance Druid
GM - Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
[6/6] MSV [5/6] HoF

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Cptbeatstix
If you want a legitimate 2's before 5.2 hits - ArmsWarrior/Hpally

Rdruids are very comp specific. They can do ok with a Hunter, Rogue, or Warlock in 2's.

After 5.2 - Rogues and Monks appear to be over tuned. They will be excellent and I suggest rolling with an Hpally.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
This is good info, what about a 3's comp?

Rogue, Warrior, ???

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit
Rogue/Warrior/Ret can be a reasonable triple deeps team. Rogue can cloak the entire team, run in and burst their healer before they know WTF happend.

All three classes have decent CC, good burst, and the Warrior has a bubble breaker.

THe better your Ret is the farther the comp will go. He will be the one having to pay attention to the pace of the match. When to use his holy power for a heal, or when to give the Warrior HoF so no one's being kited.

The warrior tunnel visions the kill target with the exception of trying to get multiple targets in a shockwave and Fear.

The rogue's roll is CC bitch and bursting for the kill. Sap>TotT>Smoke>Dead

Rogue/Warrior/Hpally can do well also.

Hpally is your best healer right now. Rdruids and Rshamans will still be behind them in 5.2. Dpriest/Hpriest and Monks are questionable right now, no one's quite sure how much better they'll be in 5.2.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I am a complete noob in terms of pvp but I plan to get really into it.

What does people say when they refer to cleave comps and what other kinds of comps are there?
--

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Every time you get cleaved you have to take a shot of tequila.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit
reply to Jobbie
Cleave is just a naming scheme that used to simply indicate that it was melee heavy. However now there are teams like Wizard Cleave and Shadowcleave that don't stay true to the original usage of cleave.

Don't get wrapped up in comp names...

There are two main styles - Triple DPS, and Healer/DPS. And there are two main strategies - CC & Burst, and Outlast.

Comps develop mainly two different ways. First is simple, all three classes have good synergy with each other. What this means is that their strengths are similar and CC doesn't share DR's. Second way is they directly counter a strong comp that season. They may not be the best comp, but they $*(#& the flavor of the month comp and therefore gain a reasonable rating.

An example of an Outlast comp is Aff Lock/Rdruid/Warrior - all difficult players to kill. If you don't get a kill early against a team like this you're usually screwed.

Download "Gladiator LOS" addon.

Dismantle warriors during Recklessness/Bladestorm (lol)
Shiv Warrior/BM Huntard etc enrages off

Learn to watch for full duration CC's (non-DR'd) when their trinket is down and hold onto your vanish/shadow dance. Enemy players will drop combat after a full length fear for example, this mean you can vanish+sap into a full duration sap before they re-enter combat. This is worth clipping part of the CC to insure they don't get into combat before you get the sap off.

Get a focus+shadowstep+kick macro.
Get a focus+blind macro.

^ All you need to be a decent rogue.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I am going to be the doing pvp on my warrior, Cptnbeatstix will be the rogue.

What addons do you recommend to get started?
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Lothario
said by Lothario:

Every time you get cleaved you have to take a shot of tequila.

Man tequila is so two weeks ago, we need something new.
--

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

What addons do you recommend to get started?

Gladiator LOS
Gladius
Lose Control
Cooldown Pulse
Icehud
Weak Auras

You need to learn not to look at your actionbars/cooldowns as much as possible and put everything important near the center of your screen so you can be aware of what's going on.

If you're starring at your action bar waiting for overpower to proc, or Taste for Blood than you're screwed. I can send you my WeakAura's string which was extremely helpful for me on my warrior if you don't have something similar already.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I will install these tonight, I don't have Weak auras yet so if you could send the sting my way it would be awesome.
--

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to Jobbie
Crown royal then.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Jobbie
I'll send the string. I'll try to remember tonight.

Brief Summary:

Gladiator LOS - Audible announces enemy ability usage, this is HUGE.

Gladius - Arena targeting frame used to quickly change targets, set focus, view if their trinket is up, watch drs etc. - takes virtually no setup

Icehud - Puts your health/resources in the center of the screen so you don't look at the top left to see your health etc. This addon takes some setup.

Lose Control - Shows CC durations used on you, your target, your focus, party, and arena players. - This addon takes minor setup, you can move where you want the notifications to show up.

Weak Auras - One of the most versitile addons around, but mainly, you can set it up to provide on screen notifications when certain actions happen. I have notifications for when Mage has hypothermia debuff, paladin forebearance, DK AMS, When over power procs, with taste for blood procs and how many stacks etc etc etc... I'll send you these.

Cooldown Pulse - Simply flashes an icon of the abillity that just came off cooldown. You can move it wherever you want or however large you want. This makes it easy to track when cooldowns have finished without having to look at your bars.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
It may be better to add one or two addons at a time. Otherwise it may be overwhelming and fairly difficult to setup all at once. Just a thought.

Add one, play a BG, get an idea and then add the next one. Etc.

Gladius will only show up in arenas however.