share rss forum feed

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to silbaco

Re: Hypocrites

said by silbaco:

People pirate at work. That's not surprising. Especially software. You can setup the most elaborate policies and filtering software. But at the end of the day, you can't control your employees.

I disagree. While yes, you cannot control your employees, you can monitor and/or limit what they do when using their work equipment and/or connection. You can also take action against them when they do stuff that you tell them upfront you do not want them to do.

Many businesses have their corporate domains behind firewalls and internet connections for their employees proxied, filtered and monitored. For example, where I work P2P of any kind is strictly prohibited. If caught, depending on how important you are, you will either be fired on the spot or severely reprimanded. Now, there will always be a few bad apples who will try to get around whatever measures are in place, but in this economy not many would be willing to jeopardize their jobs for the ability to torrent music/movies at work. Now, that's not to say that these same people won't do it using their home internet connections.

The fact that people can freely torrent stuff from corporate domains of major music/movie/TV studios tells me that these companies either employ brain-dead system/network admins who have no clue how to secure their networks or their management simply doesn't care about this kind of thing going on.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

You can always catch and punish someone, and you can block simple things like P2P or block domains and IP addresses. But I don't know of a lot of companies that actually put great amount of effort into blocking content. That's just not high on the priority list. Now with the 6 strikes, it could go up a few notches.

My guess on why copyright holders are allowing P2P traffic is that they have a valid reason to allow P2P. Probably to catch offenders who torrent their content or partner's content. And their admins are probably too understaffed to worry about someone abusing the privilege. They may catch the employees, they may not. We have no way of knowing. But I am sure downloading truly infringing content is not allowed.