All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to alkizmo

Anon

to alkizmo

Re: EXTREME freezing temperatures - What to worry about?

Was -30-C here last night, -31C for tonight (-42C W/ windchill).
*shrug*
I don't turn water off or do anything.

But if you are worried about it, instead of turning water off, it's likely better to open a faucet some place and leave it open a little more than a drip (thin steady stream).

What sucks more is when the dog wants to go out and pee and I open that door. bRrRrRrR

Congrats on being home alone!
Make the most of it.
Pizza and beer
Call in sick tomorrow
Eat more pizza and have more beer
Because in a few day you are likely going to have 10-inches of snow that will need shoveling while it's -25 out
...And that will be one miserable little nippley job

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Way ahead of you

Though no I can't call in sick. I want to save those "sick" moments for when it counts. With a 5 year old son and 6 months old daugther, you never know when THEY are sick and you gotta pretend to be.

However ya... pizza, wine (ya sorry, too cold for beer today) and a whole supplies of movies and tv-shows I haven't had the chance to watch until now.

FFFF YA!

10 inches of snow? Screw that, the wife & kids are gone, I can just hop in my SUV and drive over it, no wife around to complain!

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

Pizza and wine. Someone is gonna be snoring tonight and no one will be around to complain about it and rolling you off the bed to go sleep on the couch. Double-bonus.

At least sleep in and go in late! Battery problems you know...
said by alkizmo:

10 inches of snow? Screw that

That's even better
Offer some kid 10$ to shovel for you.
Do kids still shovel for money these days or can we be arrested for child abuse for that?

Oh, and good luck finding a kid who would want 10$ for shoveling anyhow.

Kids today, ay.

KA0OUV
Premium Member
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

1 recommendation

KA0OUV to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Trick my Dad shared with me was to open the doors under your sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms. In particular where they are against an outside wall. Gets a few extra º to the pipes.

As far as windchills go, the National Weather Service changed how they calculated Windchill a few years ago.

»www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n= ··· hill#Old

»www.nws.noaa.gov/om/wind ··· pare.pdf

With the old chart, -25ºF and 25MPH wind speed produced a -81ºF windchill.

So, jrs8084 was within the ballpark for Northern IL from a good cold snap with the right conditions.

I like the watts sq/m that Juggernaut quotes. I assume that is normal in "hydro" country?

Tim [KA0OUV]

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860

said by KA0OUV:

Trick my Dad shared with me was to open the doors under your sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms. In particular where they are against an outside wall. Gets a few extra º to the pipes.

Tim [KA0OUV]

Good advice!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to KA0OUV

Premium Member

to KA0OUV
They used watts sq/m for a while, but then went back to 'wind chill' temps. I have to say, it was really confusing trying to get the jist of it.