join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

OS upgrades

Hi everyone.
I have a question for you.
I had a 2007 Macbook. I kept it updated with the newest OS from Apple. Up until the latest one, Mountain Lion. It wouldn't let me install saying the unit was incompatible. I am not sure if that means it is too old?
I have a 2008 iMac. Like the Macbook, I keep it updated. It IS running Mountain Lion and just fine. What is Apples OS policy? Do they limit installing new OS on "older" computers?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

That MacBook has EFI32 and won't boot a 64bit kernel. I'm in the same boat with my 2006 Mac Pro...64 bit processors but 32bit firmware. ML will only boot to a 64bit kernel.

It is an artificial limitation as early builds of ML would boot on EFI32 machines and some users have found workarounds for getting the 64bit kernel booted on EFI32 machines.

Now there is better 64-bit support from Microsoft for EFI32 Macs than you get from Apple.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to Dominokat

I'm in the same boat, there's a hack out there, but, I sticking with Lion...........

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

So since my iMac was able to boot and install "Lion" does that mean that I probably am still able to use a future version of OSX when it comes out?

excalibur26

join:2013-02-02

After the way they treated PowerPC (PPC) users who can say what tricks they'll perform next. But they abandoned millions of PPC users with Snow Leopard. Leopard is the last OS for PPC Macs, and not all PPC's can use Leopard either.