Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Its COLD!

Click for full size
How are you all doing with this cold snap?
I had and oil delivery this morning. I must have been very low on fuel. The guy was here for ever filling my tank!
I went to see my Lawyer today. (50 miles inland) I never saw my dash temperature go over 5!
Its just damn cold! Expected to go to -5 tonight.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

Just got back from my morning walk. Zero here. Very tolerable no wind. The oil burner is working overtime, so like you I expect to need another delivery soon....Ouch!!

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6
reply to Dominokat

Thermostat is set for 70. Apartment is 62 Brrrr.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Well my shower is frozen up. No shower for me!

My Monitor heater is set for 70. It normal just idles along maintaining that 70. But it is nearly going full blast to keep up.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to Dominokat

9°.
Got the paper.
That's about it until the mail comes.

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

My Cali daughter is discovering the only downside of going to BU.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to Dominokat

0 when I left home. Bright sun, no wind, and woolen Depends made the wait for the bus tolerable.
--
CMKRNL

seginus

join:2008-01-30
Worcester, MA

Thermometer on my Jeep hit -1 on the way down to Dudley this morning.

LocutusBorg
Premium
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA
reply to Dominokat

Its a good thing Al Gore invented global warming.
Else it would be REALLY cold

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Dominokat

YARMOUTH - More than 600 NStar customers in Yarmouth lost power and heat late Wednesday night on arguably the coldest night of the season. A failure of a transformer was apparently to blame. NStar crews were working to restore service as quickly as possible. The outage swelled to 1,700 customers at one point before being restored around 1 a.m. The temperature at nearby Barnstable Municipal Airport at the time was 9 degrees with a windchill of -2.

Out for 90 minutes last night. Not near me or Motel Happy as Hell on the Beach so no problem.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

Thats what I like about having a Monitor heater. I have a 12volt high amp Marine battery and a 1200 power inverter that I can hook up to keep the heater going A VERY LOOOOONG time if the power goes out.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to Dominokat

I'm at that age where each winter is notably less enjoyable and fear of snowbird status threatens. Shopping for property and this cold spell has me up late on Realtor.com looking at VA/MD's Delmarva Peninsula rather than Buzzard's Bay communities.

That and dog's not getting the level of exercise he's come to expect. We were out in -2F last night and took the 1/3mile woods loop rather than the usual mile. Won't break until Tues, predicts NOAA.

Apt living and miss my wood stove!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Save money on hair product: Wet hair, style as desired, step outside. Locked in place for hours.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6

You're not kidding! I had a pony-tail icicle hanging off the back of my head this morning. Froze solid in about 90 seconds.
--
I has a blog!

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
reply to Dominokat

I'm not finding it that bad. The house is cozy, work is overheated as usual, and I bought myself a Marmot coat on sale at EMS a few weeks ago that's proving to be well worth what I paid for it. Plus I like to say "Marmot".
--
"Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident." Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

Click for full size

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to capecoddah

said by capecoddah:

YARMOUTH - More than 600 NStar customers in Yarmouth lost power and heat late Wednesday night on arguably the coldest night of the season. A failure of a transformer was apparently to blame. NStar crews were working to restore service as quickly as possible. The outage swelled to 1,700 customers at one point before being restored around 1 a.m. The temperature at nearby Barnstable Municipal Airport at the time was 9 degrees with a windchill of -2.

Out for 90 minutes last night. Not near me or Motel Happy as Hell on the Beach so no problem.

Looks like more were without power again today. Most of Main st was out.
--
Professional student pilot!

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Dominokat

Outage disrupts haircut

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA

1 recommendation

Hair is too brittle to cut in this cold anyway.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

It's HOT!

It reached 22! I had to break out the shorts.

Wednesday may reach mid 40s!

Rumor is that February is going to be real cold though.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA

Here is what AccuWeather is saying about February for my area. Looks about normal. Keep in mind that forecasters ability to be accurate even on a day to day basis is suspect.

»www.accuweather.com/en/us/andove···/01/2013

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

It was the local new weather guy that said the pattern looks cold. Where he got it, I don't know.

Edit: Found a link

»www.wcsh6.com/video/default.aspx···featured

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA

He could very well be right about Maine. As you know, it's such a large state there can be a significant difference between Maine weather and that of southern New England.

In other words, keep the cold in Maine where it belongs.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Re: Its COLD!

Maine likes to share. You can have some too.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Dominokat

How cold is it?
Instead of firing up the grill, I made a burrito.

The squirrels are ice skating on the bird-bath.

Edit:
Go Bruins!
First place in the Adams Division!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

1 edit
reply to Dominokat

I saw the tidy bowl man buying ice skates.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to Dominokat

...I saw a politician walking down the street with his hands in his own pockets.
--
CMKRNL

jap
Premium
038xx
reply to capecoddah

said by capecoddah:

Instead of firing up the grill, I made a burrito.

2 mins out of bed & a wee hungover I swore that said girl and was like ... why?
coffee pls.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Dominokat

Yup - been pretty cold here at night the last week or so, not bad during the day as long as the sun is out and not too windy.

The up side is that having a cold winter should cut down on summer bugs. I sure hope it reduces the tic population, they were terrible last summer here in southern NH.

We heat with cord-wood and use the stove as a preheater for hot water. During cold snaps like this we have too much hot water.

/tom

jap
Premium
038xx

said by tschmidt:

The up side is that having a cold winter should cut down on summer bugs. I sure hope it reduces the tic population, they were terrible last summer here in southern NH.

Here in seacoast NH 2012 saw lower deer tick activity than in 2011. Rightly or no, I chalked it up to heat-suppressed feeding. Do you know if the population is actually much bothered by cold? I've no idea but hope that it's true.

Then again you may have been bemoaning wood ticks? Get chickens. They're amazing and will wipe out the population in their range. This from direct experience in Carroll County. Not sure how effective they are on deer ticks.

Deer tick life cycle image is courtesy of some kind Wikipedia editor. The entry is good overall.

- - - - - - - - edit:
Hey capecoddah, anyone you know down thayah using birds to control deer ticks?