openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to silbaco

Re: PSTN

The author seems kind of like a sensationalist moron. Based on his "article", I'd suggest that Mr. Kushnick is lucky his firm actually pays him a salary. If by chance he is truly just now learning that AT&T's U-Verse is provided by twisted pair for the last mile, he probably shouldn't be an analyst or director of anything.

said by The Huffington Post :

Bruce Kushnick has been a telecom analyst for 29 years, and is currently the chairman of Teletruth, an independent customer advocacy group focusing on broadband and telecom issues, as well as executive director of New Networks Institute, a market research firm.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

said by openbox9:

The author seems kind of like a sensationalist moron. Based on his "article", I'd suggest that Mr. Kushnick is lucky his firm actually pays him a salary. If by chance he is truly just now learning that AT&T's U-Verse is provided by twisted pair for the last mile, he probably shouldn't be an analyst or director of anything.

That isn't the worst of it. What he's doing is conflating "PSTN" with "outside plant." PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) and "outside plant" are two entirely separate things. You can deliver IP connectivity over copper pairs (as we know) and you can deliver PSTN services over... well, over just about anything short of string.

Jim

B Kushnick

@rr.com

It amazes me you didn't read the story properly... AT&T is asking the FCC to shut down the PSTN (i.e.; stop providing services over the wires) -- which they claim is different than their broadband networks -- when in fact it's the exact same wires.

And in every link I provide, AT&T claims U-verse is a fiber optic technology -- not copper-based, and AT&T failed to mention this material fact that is is copper in any state or federal proceeding.

Yet the state actually changed the laws believing AT&T's hype, and it appears the FCC is going to do the same thing.

Moreover, if you actually read the article you would see that there is another more appropriate term the PSNIT, Public Switch ed Network Infrastructure and Technology which includes all wires, network switches, etc. And it includes all technologies including the 'non-switched services, such as data services.

The reason this is important is because AT&T is using the 'closing down the PSTN' to essentially erase basic obligations like making sure customers can get service.

Moreover, in every AT&T and Verizon state the companies made commitments to replace the 'old copper wiring' with fiber -- and so where's you questions about why they failed to upgrade the networks with fiber?

And as I've been talking about this since U-Verse was announced in 2004... And i even wrote a book about this failure to upgrade their states with fiber.

Maybe before you spout off you should actually read the articles and the other work we've been doing for 2 decades - as we've been filing about the failure to upgrade their states since 1992.

What he's doing is conflating "PSTN" with "outside plant."PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) and "outside plant" are two entirely separate things.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The PSTN was the generic term for all wires, network switches since the 1990's --

This is from the New Jersey law, which is still in effect. -- where the company got billions over the last 2 decades to transform the PSTN networks --

"D. NJ BELL'S PLAN FOR AN ALTERNATIVE FORM OF REGULATION MAY 21, 1992 --- NJ Bell's plan declares that its approval by the Board would provide the foundation for NJ Bell's acceleration of an information age network in Now Jersey and referred to by NJ Bell as ‘Opportunity New Jersey’. Opportunity New Jersey would accelerate the deployment of key network technologies to make available advanced intelligent network, narrowband digital, wideband digital, and broadband digital service capabilities in the public switched network, and thereby accelerate the transformation of NJ Bell's public switched network, which today transports voiceband services (voice, facsimile and low speed data), to a public switched network, which transports video and high speed data services in addition to voiceband services."

This was fiber to the home -- so I guess the PSTN was not simply the central offices.

And I see you live in Michigan... An AT&T state... Formerly Michigan bell, the Ameritech, then SBC and now AT&T-Michigan -- did you know they charged you thousands of dollars for fiber -- but hey, you knew that right?