share rss forum feed

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to graysonf

Re: Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

I couldn't get it to install on VirtualBox 4.2.6. It tried to start and then said "Oh No! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator."

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Maxo:

I couldn't get it to install on VirtualBox 4.2.6. It tried to start and then said "Oh No! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator."

I had something similar when installing to a real machine.

An early screen listed two network interfaces, and said that I needed one for updates. So I selected the wifi interface. Then it presented a screen for me to enter the SSID and key. While I was typing in the SSID it crashed with a message similar to what you describe.

I plugged in an ethernet cable, and restarted the install. I didn't even get that screen. Presumably, it was happy with the ethernet connection.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 18.0

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Maxo

I got both the KDE and GNOME 3 Fedora 18's to install on VirtualBox with no problems. I did up the memory from the default 768 to 2048 and made the hard drive 16G instead of 8GB. With the GNOME install I kept the default NAT, with KDE I went with Bridged.

Edit: Forgot to mention these were 64-bit versions of Fedora.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

said by chrisretusn:

I got both the KDE and GNOME 3 Fedora 18's to install on VirtualBox with no problems.

It must be something specific with my work laptop. I gave it 2 gigs of RAM, 64 mega of video ram, and 40G of hard drive space all on the latest release of Virtualbox, 4.2.6. This is a 64-bit machine with a quad-core Intel I7 processor and virtualization turned on in the bios. The host OS is Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.
I'm going to try again on my home PC.