spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Packfan
@ups.com

Packfan

Anon

Why both Music Channels and Pandora App

Why does Fios offer both the music channels and Pandora? Seems like they could drop the music channels and use that space towards more HD. I don't think I have ever utilized these music stations.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

We listen to Music Choice all the time.

All of them together probably don't equal the space of an SD station let alone HD. I think they're 160 kbps audio and a static image.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to Packfan

to Packfan
I'm a big fan of Music Choice, too.

I have both my DVR's set up so that the audio is piped to my stereo sets so that I can turn off the TV and still listen to the music.

Pandora has commercials, although not nearly as many as local FM radio stations. Music Choice only has onscreen ads.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to Packfan

to Packfan
said by Packfan :

Seems like they could drop the music channels and use that space towards more HD.

U do know that all 46 channels of music choice fit on 1 QAM channel right?
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to knarf829

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

We listen to Music Choice all the time.

All of them together probably don't equal the space of an SD station let alone HD. I think they're 160 kbps audio and a static image.

I love Music Choice. I ran audio cables from box into sound system. I don't even have to turn on TV. I wish they would let us stream it like some cable companies have.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to Packfan

to Packfan
The Pandora widget does not work well on some 7XXX boxes. It "stutters" most evident on certain types of music. This bug, confirmed to me by the Pandora Widget project manager, was introduced with IMG 1.9 and pertains to how the music is decoded. It also impacts streaming music from Verizon Media Manager. The Project Manager said in an e-mail last July that the fix was supposed to be in a firmware upgrade in Q12013. I'm not betting my pennies on a fix then though.

So in addition to the fact that Music Choice take up only 1 QAM channel, I use it regularly since the Pandora Widget provides unacceptable music quality.
nyrmetros
join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

nyrmetros to Packfan

to Packfan
I use the music choice channels when connected to my stereo receiver, but I use Pandora on my kitchen fios tv.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to Packfan

to Packfan
All of the above posts make good points but let's also not forget that every TV device can access the Music Choice channels while Pandora can only be accessed with a STB supporting widgets - so no Pandora for ClearQAM, Digital Adapters, and CableCARD devices.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by Zero5:

All of the above posts make good points but let's also not forget that every TV device can access the Music Choice channels while Pandora can only be accessed with a STB supporting widgets...

...Or your computer, or any home theater device manufactured in the last 5 years or so.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by knarf829:

said by Zero5:

All of the above posts make good points but let's also not forget that every TV device can access the Music Choice channels while Pandora can only be accessed with a STB supporting widgets...

...Or your computer, or any home theater device manufactured in the last 5 years or so.

Ding ding. These widgets are useless and a waste of resources. I tried the facebook one once for grins. Took me 5 mins to sign in to the darn thing. On my phone it takes two seconds to access. Weather widget? Why? There's like ten weather channels or hit up your computer or phone.
billhere
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

When the computer is upstairs and you and the TV are downstairs it's nice to have a weather widget.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

said by billhere:

When the computer is upstairs and you and the TV are downstairs it's nice to have a weather widget.

have you tried channel 49? I find it mobetta
billhere
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

The weather widget is customizable; channel 49 is not.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Packfan

MVM

to Packfan
Each to their own. By the time I've found my way to the widgets, assuming they are working, I can hit my phone or tablet or computer for the same info in half the time.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to PJL

to PJL
said by PJL:

The Pandora widget does not work well on some 7XXX boxes. It "stutters" most evident on certain types of music. This bug, confirmed to me by the Pandora Widget project manager, was introduced with IMG 1.9 and pertains to how the music is decoded. It also impacts streaming music from Verizon Media Manager. The Project Manager said in an e-mail last July that the fix was supposed to be in a firmware upgrade in Q12013. I'm not betting my pennies on a fix then though.

So in addition to the fact that Music Choice take up only 1 QAM channel, I use it regularly since the Pandora Widget provides unacceptable music quality.

The way the music choice channels are sent out by default they are setup to be sent out on x.5 thru x.50 with x = the QAM channel number. This allows a cable company to mux 4 channels on .1-.4 on that QAM without having to renumber the subchannels. I know some cable companies like to number the music choice subchannels I know that suddenlink is notorious for numbering them x.900 thru x.946.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

Each to their own. By the time I've found my way to the widgets, assuming they are working, I can hit my phone or tablet or computer for the same info in half the time.

true i don't like to push. as long as i see atemp on the screen, i'm good at 3:00am motorcycle or truck? as for their rain predictions, they are usually off anyways, like grandmother i trust my bones for rain

I never pay attention as to who offers their info. can't be accuwhether ? they are usually good here in socal, but then socal is not wheather is it

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Nezmo

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

Have to agree, the processor, even in the newer 7100-p2's, is still alot slower then my tablet....