spc
uniqs
WebMaka
join:2013-01-19
Niceville, FL

WebMaka to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1

Re: [FL] Latency issues - Is Cox working on their back-end syste

Minecraft, actually, and it really gets bad when 6-8 people are in the Mumble server and another 4-5 on the Minecraft server. Something about Mumble in particular seems to make the connection go completely crazy.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Perhaps if you could post some trace route data to the hosts in questions that would reveal some clues as to what is going on.

JUser
@optonline.net

JUser

Anon

Seems like alot of COX customers are having issues connecting to IB right now...
WebMaka
join:2013-01-19
Niceville, FL

WebMaka to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
The only problem is that traceroutes aren't proving very helpful in locking down what's causing the erratic latency, as it's tough to actually catch and the results we're all getting are contradictory. For example, the line quality/jitter testing from DSL Reports consistently shows 2% loss at the last hop, but none of the folks connecting in from the outside are showing that on their ends. I pretty much can't traceroute since I'm on Cox Home HSI and it's only three hops out the residential gateway and back in through the business side and my Home HSI connection is also being affected to a less obvious extent.

I'm thinking that the only way this is gonna get caught and fixed is to have the connection actively monitored from Cox's end for a few days, during which I'll see about getting everyone to pile in and load the connection down so we can maximize it acting up.

In the meantime I'll see if I can enlist everyone using the servers to ping and traceroute the snot out of the server when the connection goes screwball and see if we can find anything to point at.
cookiesowns
join:2010-08-31
Irvine, CA

cookiesowns to WebMaka

to WebMaka
said by WebMaka:

Minecraft, actually, and it really gets bad when 6-8 people are in the Mumble server and another 4-5 on the Minecraft server. Something about Mumble in particular seems to make the connection go completely crazy.

Hold up, you're saying you're on the basic tier? The issue is with you hitting your upstream cap, causing packet loss.

I suggest turning down your outbound quality on Mumble then. Mumble can eat up quite a bit of bandwidth. Maybe try hosting a local murmur server?
said by Manse:

I'll add myself to the "having this problem" list. Unfortunately, I'm at work and can't post details right now. But I have pingplotter data across multiple nights I can share when I get home. All of the packet loss appears to be at 68.1.4.133 or (occasionally) 68.1.4.159.

I've scheduled two service calls and cancelled them both because I've received calls from Cox saying "Oh, we found the problem last night and corrected it, you should be fine." The problem is corrected for anywhere between 1 and 4 hours, then is back full force.

The PingPlotter runs I have show losses of 10-50% at the above IP, most typically sitting at 20%. I'll data dump when I get home tonight.

Are you getting any loss past cox's CMTS/Router? I've seen plenty of times where maintenance on the CMTS or the router will disable ICMP packets for a given amount of time. Too many requests to it, will also drop ICMP packets, but it will forward packets just fine.