how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NYC Guy

join:2003-11-08
New York, NY
reply to Dodge

Re: Ridiculous charge for lost FIOS cable box!

No it isn't. Mine was a tiny black analog to digital converter box. The model is DCT700 which they bill me $5.99 a month.

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···00_US-EN

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

Verizon states all their charges for misplaced or damaged boxes somewhere in their agreements. It's your responsibility to take care of their rental equipment. If you are leasing or renting a car, you are also responsible for it. How do they know you lost it or sold it on ebay? You have to take care of it.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to NYC Guy
Consider one of these. »www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003AOL2QY

Are you canceling service? or still keeping it? Do you have homeowner or renter insurance (although the deductible won't cover $200). Doesn't seem to be many options. Maybe if you were to file it as a theft with police report etc., it might be covered differently.

My DCT700 is not visibly branded by Verizon, although they may do a serial number scan and find it's not their inventory.

You're already on record as requesting a replacement with no return, so not sure how you can finagle it. Best you can do is try to find a sympathetic ear.

Consider Executive Resolutions, particularly if you can say you've had FiOS since the beginning and you plan to keep it forever-ish. Or, pay it and chalk it up to picking the wrong contractor.

NYC Guy

New York, NY
Everyone here knows that a 4 year old box that isn't even an HD model is not worth what they are trying to charge. On principle alone I refuse to pay them that ridiculous $199 amount!

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

My DCT700 is not visibly branded by Verizon, although they may do a serial number scan and find it's not their inventory.

Lmfao, MSOs have inventory management systems that are sophisticated enough to ensure that you can't just return another STB even if it's the same model.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NYC Guy
said by NYC Guy:

On principle alone I refuse to pay them that ridiculous $199 amount!

You may wish to rethink that when you realize that they will send sell it to collections, you'll have your credit trashed and the credit hounds will inflate the amount due 10X and you'll still be on the hook
Expand your moderator at work

NYC Guy

New York, NY
reply to guppy_fish

Re: Ridiculous charge for lost FIOS cable box!

Incidentally does anyone know what this DCT 700 box from Motorola really sells for brand new? I am not talking about eBay prices but from legitimate retailers.

robjlevin

join:2002-10-30
Millington, NJ
You signed a contract. You lost the box. Pay the bill.

As already pointed out, you're going to be in for a world of problems if you don't pay it...and yes, $199 is fair. With all of the subsidized equipment we're all used to such as cell phones and cable / satellite receivers people have lost touch with the real cost of these devices.

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to NYC Guy
You can't buy it from legitimate retailers. It is not sold directly to individuals. Only cable companies can legitimately purchase it.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to NYC Guy
said by NYC Guy:

Incidentally does anyone know what this DCT 700 box from Motorola really sells for brand new? I am not talking about eBay prices but from legitimate retailers.

I don't think MSOs can even buy this box anymore as most STB makers have stopped manufacturing SD terminals. Up north here where MSOs allow customers to buy equipment, the company I'm with sells the same terminal to customers for $99+tax for a refurb unit that comes with a 2 year warranty. If you lose a rental they charge $99 for the terminal, $5 for the power cord, and $25 for the remote, so not too far off from what Verizon is charging you.

NYC Guy

New York, NY
It's about $95 off as I do have the remote. if they said it was only $100 I would bite the bullet, but we all know they will be basing this on shipping a refurbished unit if I asked for a replacement box.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to yyzlhr
Doesn't your home owners policy include theft?

If it does file a claim.

You MUST pay the listed price, as the terms of your agreement are included in your contract with Verizon. Doesn't matter whether it is a old or refurbished box or not, you agreed to pay when you started service.

I would also call the contractor and see if you can get them to pay for the box. Heck send them a bill for it. If they don't respond have a lawyer send them a letter demanding payment or else you will be heading to small claims court.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
reply to NYC Guy
Instead of trying to justify why you shouldn't pay this, don't fight Verizon - fight your contractor who lost it...