Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

[HELP] I Need Some Inspiration

I'm designing a 2 page flyer for NJ Veterans Haven.

Veterans Haven
The Transitional Housing Program for homeless veterans occupies one large building on state property in Winslow Township. The program is divided into three phases: treatment; self-reclamation; and community reintegration. Each phase lasts three to six months and is tailored to individual treatment needs and vocational interests.

Eligible veterans are referred from a VA Medical Center after receiving a medical evaluation. To be admitted into the program, the veteran must agree to a long-term program focusing on psychological, social and vocational rehabilitation. The program is drug and alcohol free, and has a staff comprised of professionals in the fields of mental health, addictions, social work, vocational rehabilitation and nursing.

Their website was down at the time of posting.

»www.nj.gov/military/vetshaven/index.html

The flyer is basically asking for donations and has a list of items needed. I have strict guidelines as to the wording but the flyer background and overall design has been left to my discretion. I'm told they need thousands of these flyers so I won't be doing the printing. I was also told that the printer may or may not be a black & white copier.

With all that said, I want to design one for a color copier and one that would show better in black & white. For obvious reasons they will have a significant difference.

I'm in a little creative slump so I could use some ideas, clip art, basic design, etc.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I would say use a photo of the facility and the insignias of the service branches
--
Just another day in Paradise

Kathy_9
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to dolphins
What a great cause. I just did a Google image search for "homeless veterans" for some inspiration and got totally depressed.

One thought is something with "helping hands" and one arm would have a camo sleeve or something to indicate military.

It's a tough concept. Since they are looking for donations you want to tug on people's hearts and at the same time maintain dignity for the vets.
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/

Hawk
Riding Thermals
Premium
join:2003-08-25
The Desert

1 recommendation

reply to dolphins
A large waving (static of coarse) American flag faded in the background comes to mind.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kathy_9
said by Kathy_9:

What a great cause. I just did a Google image search for "homeless veterans" for some inspiration and got totally depressed.

Yes, it is depressing and I don't want that to show in the flyer. Doom and gloom turns people off. People tend to be more sympathetic and giving when they are happy.

It's a tough concept. Since they are looking for donations you want to tug on people's hearts and at the same time maintain dignity for the vets.

Yes exactly, hence my dilemma.
--

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to dolphins
There may be something at the main site you can use. At least not worry about copyright problems with some of these pictures offered: »www.va.gov/homeless/resource_cen···rochures

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to dolphins
Thanks for the replies.

Well, I finally got all the info I needed. As it turns out, these flyers are going to be distributed to many different churches and organizations so the wording must be universal and editable, also the design must be simple. That is a relief for me. Since the contact information and sponsor will be changed to reflect each church or organization I provided blank lined areas to be edited later.

Here are JPEGs of the PDF files I made:

--

Kathy_9
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:10

1 recommendation

Nice work!!

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Thanks.

Like I said, simple and editable. I thought about borders but I prefer not to use them unless it's needed to emphasize the graphics. In this case, the emphasis is on the wording and large easy to read fonts.
--

Hawk
Riding Thermals
Premium
join:2003-08-25
The Desert

1 edit
reply to dolphins
Very nice. Curious how it looks printed?

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Thanks!

It looks very vivid and bright using my Cannon MP530. The background comes through very well without taking away from the text. I also saved it in black & white which also looks decent. I'm happy with it and most of all the board members approve.
--