uniqs

isthisdsl
@cox.net

isthisdsl

Anon

Is this DSL equipment??

Click for full size
DSL Equipment?
I live in Byromville, GA (on the outskirts) and have been waiting years for DSL to be installed in my area. Although Byromville has DSL available, my area does not. I was out plundering down a dirt road a few days ago and found this equipment installed and was wondering if this is a newer version of a DSLAM that Windstream is installing??
nOv1c3
join:2006-11-08
Whitney, TX

nOv1c3

I see a fiber line and phone not sure what she electric meter is for
m12345s
join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

4 edits

m12345s to isthisdsl

to isthisdsl
Yes it is, they have been installing new equipment just like that box that is on the pedestal in my area as well, it is a DSLAM which provides DSL, I haven't been able to get DSL since I moved here in Missouri but they installed one of those near my location over the summer and ran fiber from the DSLAM back towards town. I believe these are the DSLAMs they are using in their stimulus projects, they have installed at least half a dozen around here. I believe that other new box to the left of it is a junction box where they hook up the phone line into the DSLAM, that's also exactly what they did around here. Oh and they also installed the ones around here near electric meters. It appears that the meter isn't installed in the one in that picture yet, meaning that it may not be turned up yet. Have you asked Windstream about it? They installed the one that's going to serve me around June but they are just now starting to turn up the ones around here, how far are you from this?
»Broadband Stimulus

Check out the pictures in that forum that I took of the new equipment near me, looks identical to me.
KSD2004
join:2012-09-26
Smiths Grove, KY

KSD2004 to isthisdsl

to isthisdsl
To be honest i don't know what they are, some tech on here claim I'm 21k feet from DSLAM so which means 4 miles under, I've been looking for it I have no clue where the heck DSLAM at in my area. They sure hide the DSLAM pretty good.
Bashlin
join:2011-06-20
Douglas, GA

Bashlin to isthisdsl

to isthisdsl
the electric meter is usually used for cooling fans for the circuits..one thing i see is a coil tap, get rid of that thing !! lol

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to isthisdsl

to isthisdsl
Looks like it. SLAM on the top (middle), batteries/power on the bottom, cross-connect to the left, a small pedestal to the far left, power for the remote to the right (on the pole), and the far right, don't know, could be cable-co gear if there is one in your area.

It's definitely a small deployment, probably no more than 48 ports.

Here's what mine looks like. Strapped beside an OPI and housed inside is an ALU 7330 with EVLT-K cards (ADSL/ADLS2+/VDSL2), three 1GbE uplinks with one dedicated for IPTV. Power is to the right.

m12345s
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Definitely is a small deployment, they have been putting them in very rural areas in my area. Do you have any idea what type of DSLAM it is and what speeds it may be able to provide? Thanks.

xsbell
Canada

xsbell

said by m12345s:

Definitely is a small deployment, they have been putting them in very rural areas in my area. Do you have any idea what type of DSLAM it is and what speeds it may be able to provide? Thanks.

I know they used to use Adtran's (Total Access 3000) on their legacy network, in most areas, but I couldn't tell you what they switched to now. I'm guessing not Adtran though, and knowing Windstream, probably a Chinese manufacturer (ZyXEL, ZTE, or Huawei).

The line cards will probably support VDSL2 also, but most people will probably only be able to get their "G.Bond" (bonded ADSL2+) service, due to distance.
m12345s
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

They provide up to 12 megs here, not 24 yet, and I'm about 6,000 ft from it. A few months ago I asked my local manager about it and he told me adtran was going to help with the turn-up process, so I assume its adtran.

xsbell
Canada

xsbell

said by m12345s:

They provide up to 12 megs here, not 24 yet, and I'm about 6,000 ft from it. A few months ago I asked my local manager about it and he told me adtran was going to help with the turn-up process, so I assume its adtran.

You wouldn't be able to get a VDSL2 profile (obviously), but you'd still be able to get 24Mbps with bonded ADSL2+. The more important thing though is the transport aggregation, going from ATM to Ethernet, so you shouldn't have any more slowdowns or "latency outages".