Search similar:

uniqs
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

Student146;s Expulsion Exposes Computer Science Culture Gap

»securityledger.com/stude ··· ure-gap/

I think this kind of shows that college are not teaching the right skills and that the old college system needs change.

as for what he did it was conducted on a test server only, and using credentials provided to him by the company that makes Omnivox: Skytech Communications.

So maybe he used a tool the wrong way or maybe he want about stuff not the right way. But the school should be teaching about stuff like this or at least tell him what he did wrong not kick him out.

also looking at the skills gaps kind of shows that same things.
»www.huffingtonpost.com/j ··· 423.html

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

I read a portion of the article, maybe I missed it.

He was hired by a company, who developed software for the school he was attending, to conduct a security scan on the software (in use by his school), found a vulnerability, reported it to the company and school, and the school kicked him out?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Sounds to me that the school was very much in the wrong and not very IT literate.

Likely for the best the kid likely wouldn't learn much there.
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

I read a portion of the article, maybe I missed it.

He was hired by a company, who developed software for the school he was attending, to conduct a security scan on the software (in use by his school), found a vulnerability, reported it to the company and school, and the school kicked him out?

I think there is more to the story. Sounds like it started with what you said, then the school said to stop looking into it, while it was being fixed. The student continued "testing" it on his own with school resources after being told to stop. I am not defending the school, or its policies, but I do feel that the school may have had a reason and does not necessarily have to defend its position against knee jerk news reporting on the internet with immediate responses. By the time the school releases its reasons, right or wrong, this will have dropped off the main news and it will be on page 10.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

You're just inventing a possible scenario.

The student was working for someone else and that someone else likely didn't give a care about if the school said to stop.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
Look at the Dawson computer science professor's web page. Mad skillz there folks (circa 1998).
»dc37.dawsoncollege.qc.ca ··· simonel/

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
the article mentions something about the student being told not to use school resources, and expelled him when continued using them.

Not defending the school, but i also think there's more to this than just an "information gap" or lack of reality @ the school/department (which i strongly believe exists in ALL colleges in ALL departments - they teach inside a tiny cocoon, barely preparing students for the real world in ANY capacity)
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 edits

dave

Premium Member

Maybe so, but "computer science" is not the same thing as "training for an IT job". I belong to an apparently now-crusty generation that doesn't think a university education should exactly coincide with what employers want to hire this year. It's more about building up a solid foundation.

Back to the main topic: at this stage, it looks a lot like he-said/she-said. Whether the expulsion was justified hinges a lot on just how strongly he was told "don't do that any more" and also on the fact of whether it was a test system or on production servers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

CS aka "computer science" is/should be training for being a programer.

Yes its in the field of IT but CS isn't aimed at net admins.

that's CiS aka "Computer information Systems"
but um looking over the stuff for it it's lacking and wouldn't really build a proper foundation.