share rss forum feed

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:15
reply to Some1 SaveMe

Re: How to take down a network

Immediate takeaway from this is as follows :

a) change control. I've had it drilled into my head the last 5.5 years to do it everytime. I can't count the number of
times it has saved by backside, while all the other yahoos still run in cowboy mode.

b) STP -- get it implemented ASAP! Also look into securing your layer 2. VLAN attacks, DHCP snooping, no trunk
autonegotiation, BPDU / ROOT guard, etc. I'm trying to visualize your network; it sounds like a collapsed core, but
I'm dreading that you've also collapsed your access layer into the core as well. I'm not sure.

said by Some1 SaveMe :

and these guys don’t offer to contribute to any projects or any troubleshoot anything they just stand around and stare at me.

What's the knowledge base / qualifications? Across the board? Fresh out of school? Handy with a screwdriver but that's
about it? Second Wily_One See Profile in that SOMEone needs to step up and say "we're going to fix this." First thing I can
think of is cross-training. The fact that they just "stare at you" is the first thing that needs fixing. If this is a team, then
anyone should have been able to pick this up and start working on it, with everyone else backing him / her up as needed.
If all they did was stand around and only offer information when you asked for it, "Houston, we have a problem."

A good starting point, after this mess is cleaned up, is sit everyone down and ask "okay, now if I wasn't here, what would
one of you have done in my place?"

My 00000010bits.

Regards

Some1 SaveMe

@vectro.com

said by HELLFIRE:

Immediate takeaway from this is as follows :

a) change control. I've had it drilled into my head the last 5.5 years to do it everytime. I can't count the number of
times it has saved by backside, while all the other yahoos still run in cowboy mode.

b) STP -- get it implemented ASAP! Also look into securing your layer 2. VLAN attacks, DHCP snooping, no trunk
autonegotiation, BPDU / ROOT guard, etc. I'm trying to visualize your network; it sounds like a collapsed core, but
I'm dreading that you've also collapsed your access layer into the core as well. I'm not sure.

said by Some1 SaveMe :

and these guys don’t offer to contribute to any projects or any troubleshoot anything they just stand around and stare at me.

What's the knowledge base / qualifications? Across the board? Fresh out of school? Handy with a screwdriver but that's
about it? Second Wily_One See Profile in that SOMEone needs to step up and say "we're going to fix this." First thing I can
think of is cross-training. The fact that they just "stare at you" is the first thing that needs fixing. If this is a team, then
anyone should have been able to pick this up and start working on it, with everyone else backing him / her up as needed.
If all they did was stand around and only offer information when you asked for it, "Houston, we have a problem."

A good starting point, after this mess is cleaned up, is sit everyone down and ask "okay, now if I wasn't here, what would
one of you have done in my place?"

My 00000010bits.

Regards

What's the knowledge base / qualifications? Across the board? Fresh out of school? Handy with a screwdriver but that's about it?

One of them had prior experience but not sure he has worked with enterprise type applications, server roles/configurations.....but he's good with hardware so i guess he may fall into the handy with a screwdriver category? And the other tech is entry level, had some very basic knowledge but still has ALOT to learn. He's really here because we couldn't find anyone that was qualified.

To answer everything else...well lets just say i have had to document step by step & print out procedures for which they have posted all over their cube walls