FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to JimThePCGuy

Premium Member

to JimThePCGuy

Re: A right?

Not a right - I lean more to a luxury, and if pushed maybe it could be called a utility under a stretch of that term.
LostInWoods
join:2004-04-14

LostInWoods

I don't see it being much of a stretch to call broadband access to the internet a utility similar to phone service or power, but not certainly not a right. And with being a utility could and perhaps should come some quality of service regulation, since for most of us there are at most two methods of broadband internet access.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to FFH5

to FFH5
i could argue the same for running water in the 1800's , power in the early 1900's, telephone in the early to mid 1900's

civilization moves on technology moves on
like it or not
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

You can survive without internet, telephone, and power. You can survive without running water too, but not without water in general.

They sound luxuries to me.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

civilizations decided other wise

what you think doesnt matter if the majority think other wise

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to LostInWoods

MVM

to LostInWoods
said by LostInWoods:

I don't see it being much of a stretch to call broadband access to the internet a utility similar to phone service or power, but not certainly not a right.

Phone, power and television (was originally radio) have already been considered "essential" previously and now Internet access is treated in the same way. I don't know how well the German definition of an "essential part of life" compares to the US legal definition of a "right" (there may be overlap, but I don't think they are truly equivalent). From what I know about Germany, things considered "essential" may be subsidized (or fully paid for) for social security recipients and a landlord may not prevent a tenant from owning "essential items" or receiving "essential services". There are also restrictions on the repossession of goods from people in financial difficulties (for example: one working phone and one working television has to remain in the home because of their status as "essential" items).
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to silbaco

to silbaco
You do realize that you are on an tech forum.