uniqs
share rss forum feed

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Foggy

Re: [BC] 80% of my current usage for an extra $13/month?

I'm doubtful as to whether or not Telus will start enforcement. The threads about the new cap limits seem earily familiar to the ones that sprung up a few years ago when Telus posted overage fees on their website.

Telus' track record shows that what they post on their website isn't what they practice in real life. I would be pretty surprised if they enforced. Especially with Shaw (their competition) being pretty lax on caps right now, and planning a package step-up program (opposed to high overages/cap enforcement).

With all that being said, it still baffles me that Telus does this stuff. DSL infrastructure (as it doesn't require Nodes) seems much more well fit for higher bandwidth loads than cable. With bulk bandwidth being as cheap as it is, why not flaunt the the VDSL network. Advertise unlimited, mock Shaw in commercials, etc.... If you're not going to bother enforcing caps, why not make the competition look bad?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by zod5000:

I'm doubtful as to whether or not Telus will start enforcement.

Enforcement will be starting in fall, with prices of approximately $15/100GB, or $75/1TB.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by pfak:

said by zod5000:

Enforcement will be starting in fall, with prices of approximately $15/100GB, or $75/1TB.

citation please

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by spock:

said by pfak:

said by zod5000:

citation please

I think my past track record speaks volumes, and I will not be providing citations

Ex: »Telus Bumps Usage Caps In Response to Shaw
--
The more I C, the less I see.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

Not saying that you're the type to blow smoke, but having posted about something after the fact is supposed to prove what exactly?

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

I think my past track record speaks volumes, and I will not be providing citations

Kids - don't say that when defending your thesis.

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

said by zod5000:

Business lines too? In particular, the 25/5 one for $84.95.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

said by BadMagpie:

Business lines too? In particular, the 25/5 one for $84.95.

Do you have a link to details on Telus's site?
I looked, just finding everything but

Thanks

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05

Go here:
»telus.com/en_CA/content/business···ect.html
And click "Add more" on Office Internet. The package you want is the Elite one.
This connection uses the VDSL2 8B profile, with a sync of 25/7.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2282548822.png

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

Thanks.

Will definitely look into this on Monday.

I'll choose monthly bandwidth over speed any day.

said by BadMagpie:

Go here:
»telus.com/en_CA/content/business···ect.html
And click "Add more" on Office Internet. The package you want is the Elite one.
This connection uses the VDSL2 8B profile, with a sync of 25/7.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2282548822.png

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

With all that being said, it still baffles me that Telus does this stuff. DSL infrastructure (as it doesn't require Nodes) seems much more well fit for higher bandwidth loads than cable. With bulk bandwidth being as cheap as it is, why not flaunt the the VDSL network. Advertise unlimited, mock Shaw in commercials, etc.... If you're not going to bother enforcing caps, why not make the competition look bad?

I've never understood this either. They could even add the advantages DSL has over cable regarding gaming and the more stable, consistent pings that having dsl dedicated lines offer. And the fact that they don't throttle, unlike in Shaw's case in some area's. Personally I think they could slam Shaw pretty good, but they don't. Must have some morals or something...

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Why would they compete with shaw?

Shaw and Telus have a monopoly. Havent you ever wondered why their prices stay close together, and they both have huge price hikes every couple of months?

Look at cell phones. Bell/Rogers/Telus, all the same pricing. Wind comes in... can give what they give for HALF price. Even less, and they offer more.

Same goes with internet - When you have a monopoly, you don't compete... If Telus tried to 1 up shaw, shaw would 1 up telus, and prices for both would drop,and keep dropping. this way.... They both have high prices, and the majority of Canadians dont know theres alternatives to goto, So it's win win for them.

This is the prime time other ISPs should be advertising their unlimited, put out a campaign and eat up a ton of Telus's customers.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by Ikarasu:

Why would they compete with shaw?

Shaw and Telus have a monopoly.

It's a duopoly (two players). If you have a few it could he an oligopoloy.

A monopoly is when there is one player only.

Duopology/Oligoplies are nearly as bad though. They exist because of high barriers to entry (In the cableco/telco example its very expensive to lay down a network of wires, the cost of entering the sector is too high for new players).

You don't get 1 up amongst duoplies because the other party knows if they lower there price the other player will too. Which makes them no better off but receiving lower revenue. This is why competition is stifled in duopoloy/oligopolies and why they don't turn into highly competitive markets (ie high entry costs).

In your example if Telus did start advertising unlimited and removed caps, shaw would quite possibly follow in suit. Which would be good for us, but probably bad from a business point of view for both shaw/telus. There's no long term gain for either party.