Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to kevinds

Re: If I get caught,

DMCA severely restricts fair-use rights in that if DRM infringes on copyright DMCA says tough bananas. To round this out companies use contractual wording to undercut first-sale doctrine.

The goal is to turn the population into renters with no property rights so companies are able to collect rent.

Be interesting to see how this plays out over the next decade as companies and government continue to tighten the screws.

/tom

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by tschmidt:

The goal is to turn the population into renters with no property rights so companies are able to collect rent.

T-mobile seems to be bucking the trend, going the opposite way. Their plans of not subsidizing phones, allowing you to BYOD, and an arguably leading pre-paid plan among the big 4 providers to me shows that they really don't care specifically about the "renting the hardware" market while they first rather provide the service. If you want to get the hardware from them, then they are happy to do that as well.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to tschmidt

What copyright material protected by DRM is there on my Android (open-source) smart-phone though.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Expand your moderator at work