how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

I wonder how Lindsey Turrentine feels now

After the Hopper debacle, CNET's Editor-in-Chief, Lindsey Turrentine, posted an article trying to explain the whole thing and justifying why she didn't quit.

»news.cnet.com/8301-30677_3-57563···s-story/

In it, she said she would do everything in her power to see that such interference didn't happen again. Naturally, most of the commenters called BS on this and reminded her that she couldn't do a thing.

So, Lindsey, how do you feel now? You were either naive thinking that you could do a thing about it, or you were simply rationalizing why you didn't walk like you should have. Which was it? And I'll remind you that, if you ever were a journalist, you aren't one now. Whether you intended it or not, you're now simply a shill for CBS.

PP

@swbell.net

I agree with you in theory. However, times are tough, and to walk away from a gig that pays well and allows her to be around, play with/evaluate, and report on technology (something I suspect she enjoys) is hard.

As the old saying goes those with the gold make the rules. In this case, big corps have us all by the short curlies. Sad that most of us have to sell a part of our soul to live comfortably.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

I agree with you. In the short term, she made the right decision from a purely financial standpoint, but this assumes that CNET won't end up taking a hit for this. If it does, she may, at some point, find herself looking for employment, and people are going to remember where she was when this happened. Still, if she'd at least been honest and said that she stayed because she needed the money, I could respect that, but neither I nor anyone else bought that line about her not allowing this to happen again. It makes her look like either a terribly naive individual or a liar. Either way, her credibility is severely diminished.

She and the other CNET staff had a golden opportunity. If they'd walked and started up their own news site, they'd have grabbed many of CNET's visitors. And, if you think about it, a site's writers are its backbone. Servers and bandwidth are relatively cheap and widely available, but good, seasoned writers are harder to come by.