Re: [Classes] 5.2 PTR Notes Healing Priest

Except for that whole 30% nerf, eh?

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

said by Krisnatharok:

There are times, as a healer, where I sometimes think I'm going to have to let someone (DPS) die in order to make sure I self heal and live. The priest's Binding Heal is an excellent spell in that situation. Nerf or not.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

well... if you don't use it now... and start using after the nerf... for you it would be a 70% buff.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Raible

to Raible
said by Raible:

There are times, as a healer, where I sometimes think I'm going to have to let someone (DPS) die in order to make sure I self heal and live. The priest's Binding Heal is an excellent spell in that situation. Nerf or not.

Anyone have any idea how well the binding heal compares to an infused PoH? With the crit, I was hitting 60-70k heals through PoH last night on my ilvl 450-something priest which doesn't feel half bad for a party heal. If I get a chance tonight, I'll have to try them against one another. PoH gives the bubble too so...

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Flash heal (1.5s cast, single target) = (15768 ~ 18324) + (164.2% (spell power))

Binding heal (1.5s cast, target and self) = (10896 ~ 14008) + (112.4% (spell power))

Prayer of Healing (2.5s cast, target's party) = (8450 ~ 8927) + (83.8% of (spell power))

My healer has 19855SP unbuffed.

Normal (non crit) FHeal for me should range between 48.4K and 50.9K (If I just cast it on myself)

Normal (non crit) B.Heal for me should range between 33.2K and 36.3K (as long as I don't target myself for the cast... it happens, lol)

Normal (non crit) POH for me should range between 25.1K and 25.6K (if I'm in the party of the of the person I cast the spell on AND am within 30yards of him/her).

Carpie
united state

Carpie

I have Flash Heal, Greater Heal, and POH all replaced with macros that begin with /cast Inner Focus so I can get the crit. Since I heal mostly through Atonement, it's generally up whenever I need to hit one of those.

Unfortunately I can't see the desc of Inner Focus atm due to being websensed but I *think* it 100% crits the heal.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Correct.
quote:
Inner Focus
Instant 45 sec cooldown
Requires Priest (Discipline)
Requires level 36
Reduces the mana cost of your next Flash Heal, Greater Heal or Prayer of Healing by 25% and increases its critical effect chance by 100%.
However... during the 45 seconds that IF is on CD, BHeal is a great way to keep heals on the tank while also healing yourself. In Holy, it also builds serendipity stacks. Binding Heal is a great spell and really should be a part of your toolkit (Disc or Holy). I'm not saying anyone is "fail" for NOT using it... just that it should be used.

Another great time to use it is after a well-timed Void Shift. If I know I'm safe(ish) and I see a tank having to spend extra time waiting on a tank swap... I'll fire a BHeal to top myself off (while keeping HPS on the tank), then fire Void Shift, then continue with Bheal if the tank is still under pressure, or I'll Fheal myself if the tank swap finally happened and the fight is back under control. As disc, this means that my IF is still ready for AA+SS+IF+POH spam, and If I'm holy then I have full Serendipty stacks for a hasted GH or PoH and a shot at DI proc (I really like DI).

Energystream
Premium Member
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY

Energystream

Premium Member

Man everyone is Disc, guess I am the holdout sticking with Holy all this time.

I didn't realize they are nerginf both flash and binding in the next patch. That kind of sucks for the oh shit moments for me since I use flash to proc serenity, or whatever it is called to get faster GH's.

After trying out PVPing the past few days I can see why those two spells are getting nerfed. In that situation they are both very strong, and put out a lot of healing. Oh well, guess i'll have to remember to shield my self when I am getting pounded, trying to weave it in between heals.

But I do have to say that those nerfs/buffs are of much greater benefit to Disc than Holy, booo.

Carpie
united state

Carpie to Immer

to Immer
You're not going to think very highly of my healing skills (though they've kept many a folk alive so far!) but I don't use Void Shift either. It scares the shift right out of me. I find myself in Oh Shift! situations more often than I let the tank get there. And I don't think the tank would like me switching my lack of life with him for my own self survival. lol

Generally if things have broken down that poorly for me, we're all in a life/death situation so it's pulling out all the group heals/bubbles possible and praying to old, new, and false gods alike to get us through it.

Of course I'm talking dungeon healing which is probably much different than raid healing which is probably where you are coming from. My raid healing experiences (which have been few) have all been in LFR where I could take a break to go make myself a sandwich and come back and still have everyone fine. LFR's are great for hiding bad healers.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Energystream

Premium Member

to Energystream
I out-perform my discipline spec by my holy spec... by a mile.

Disc numbers are funny. For disc to shine... the raid shouldn't be relying on his/her heals at all times. So, in a 3 heal situation where I can assign the other 2 healers to cover tanks and I'm free to atonement heal and plan out my cooldowns... it's godly (Feng and Spirit Kings really stand out for this).

But if you are trying to 2 heal a raid that does not yet out-gear the content... health bars start to pulse... and that makes me nervous. So, I switch to holy and life just goes a bit more smoothly.

My "favorite" is discipline... but I spend most of my time in Holy spec now.
Immer

Immer to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
said by Carpie:

You're not going to think very highly of my healing skills (though they've kept many a folk alive so far!) but I don't use Void Shift either. It scares the shift right out of me
Generally if things have broken down that poorly for me, we're all in a life/death situation so it's pulling out all the group heals/bubbles possible and praying to old, new, and false gods alike to get us through it.

first of all... /chuckle

If I use Void Shift in a dungeon, I'm usually just goofing around. I've learned to use Void Shift more and more in Raiding situations where I know we aren't going to get a Lay on Hands or something (raiding HoF has made me very comfortable with the Void Shift scenario).

In the past couple of weeks I've had at least 3 or 4 "last man standing" scenarios where micro-managing my mana sub-15% for the last 2 minutes of a fight (even planning when I might let myself die so that I get the Spirit of Redemption "buff") has won the day (both in LFR and in normal raiding).

These "extra tools" (VoidShift, Binding Heal, IF, PI, PoH, etc.) are what set us apart from the other healing classes. I've been focused on priestly healing since the end of Wrath... and there are still things I don't use as often as I should... still learning.