Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to medbuyer

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by medbuyer:

if you don't mind me asking, how many kids do you have?

can't they converge in one room and play there instead of having to wire all of their rooms and risk the possibility of them just being in their room all the time?

In 3 common areas outside of bedrooms there is a super-set of the capability within each bedroom. The kids can congregate corporeally, virtually, or play by themselves in private rooms or in open living areas. It is often fun to see what they come up with.

IMO many people haven't learned master technology and instead are subordinate to or worse clueless about it. Having access to technology and knowing how to use it appropriately and to fit it into a life, are learning issues that have been ignored IMO.

I've seen so many technology starved kids get an X-Box 360 and Call of Duty then vanish unsupervised into a private bedroom for long periods of time unsupervised. My kids have access to any game they want, none have found any FPS of interest. Generally I'll try and take time the kids activity several times an afternoon if they are home.

Access doesn't equal addition or isolation, my children have been immersed in IT for many years, it is like having a fridge, dishwasher or TV. All my kids have had cell phones since first grade. None have been lost or damaged. Currently all children have smart phones.

My belief is many parents aren't involved in teaching children how to manage the technology they encounter and how to adapt as it evolves. This may be due to the majority of parents being technologically behind their own kids.

My youngest child has been with dslreports for 5 years. His anniversary is early next month, and it'll be 6. My oldest minor child has been with this site for a decade.

So far, the thing they liked best in this thread was the joke about the worlds most interesting man and 28 drops per room. My son re-created it and put it by his bedroom door.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Yep - at 46 I am an old man. I think they are WAYYYYYY to immersed in technology but I suppose if you afford it. I would LOVE to know what they post here at 1 year old on DSLR.... I would bet they had an account but they didn't do anything on DSLR for a good while.

Of course - I would not be able to save for retirement if I had to have that outlay of cash.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to pandora

said by pandora:

In 3 common areas outside of bedrooms there is a super-set of the capability within each bedroom. The kids can congregate corporeally, virtually, or play by themselves in private rooms or in open living areas. It is often fun to see what they come up with.

a super set of what? the game consoles?

said by pandora:

IMO many people haven't learned master technology and instead are subordinate to or worse clueless about it. Having access to technology and knowing how to use it appropriately and to fit it into a life, are learning issues that have been ignored IMO.

I've seen so many technology starved kids get an X-Box 360 and Call of Duty then vanish unsupervised into a private bedroom for long periods of time unsupervised. My kids have access to any game they want, none have found any FPS of interest. Generally I'll try and take time the kids activity several times an afternoon if they are home.

master technology? can you expound on this? I do love technology but I don't make it dictate how or what I want to learn.

IMO, kids that starve to play an xbox isn't technology starved but rather acting like kids, who wants to play video games. Just like you when you were a kid.

please don't confuse technology starvation as wanting to play the xbox...I honestly don't see the relation.

I guess having a dad who loves to play online games sees it that way...

said by pandora:

Access doesn't equal addition or isolation, my children have been immersed in IT for many years, it is like having a fridge, dishwasher or TV. All my kids have had cell phones since first grade. None have been lost or damaged. Currently all children have smart phones.

My belief is many parents aren't involved in teaching children how to manage the technology they encounter and how to adapt as it evolves. This may be due to the majority of parents being technologically behind their own kids.

your kids have been immersed in IT just because they have smartphones?

if they were writing code, creating websites, creating apps for apple or Linux or Android, helping you layout your house network etc..., then they are interested in IT. Not because they have smartphones and know how to work it, doesn't mean they ARE in IT.

I do agree that at some point parents need to educate their children with how to use / handle and or harness the availability of technology around them, and not just smartphones. But I think giving your first grader kids cellphones isn't really a smart move.

I would rather go bike with them or play a board game, heck doing their homework with them sometimes is so much better. I bet you, there are only a handful of parents who do this....

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by medbuyer:

if they were writing code, creating websites, creating apps for apple or Linux or Android, helping you layout your house network etc..., then they are interested in IT. Not because they have smartphones and know how to work it, doesn't mean they ARE in IT.

Hey, not just smartphones, but XBoxes and Playstations, too!

medbuyer

said by garys_2k:

said by medbuyer:

Hey, not just smartphones, but XBoxes and Playstations, too!

my bad kind sir...lol

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

I would LOVE to know what they post here at 1 year old on DSLR.... I would bet they had an account but they didn't do anything on DSLR for a good while.

Of course - I would not be able to save for retirement if I had to have that outlay of cash.

My oldest minor child is a bit over 16 and her account is about 10 years on dslreports. Your numbers differ from mine.

My lifestyle is within my means.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

pandora
Premium
Outland
reply to medbuyer

I don't believe with your mistake on so much we have common ground for discussion. Sorry.

medbuyer

said by pandora:

said by CylonRed:

I would LOVE to know what they post here at 1 year old on DSLR.... I would bet they had an account but they didn't do anything on DSLR for a good while.

My oldest minor child is a bit over 16 and her account is about 10 years on dslreports. Your numbers differ from mine.

My lifestyle is within my means.

so basically you or your kid registered here on DSLreports when he / she was only 6? pls. don't tell me your kid is into IT because of this as well.

said by pandora:

I don't believe with your mistake on so much we have common ground for discussion. Sorry.

what mistake?

with all these tech talk about learning to use technology and all, you can't even create a proper sentence that makes sense...

will correct it for you...

"With your mistakes, I don't believe we have any common ground for a discussion. Sorry"

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

said by medbuyer:

so basically you or your kid registered here on DSLreports when he / she was only 6? pls. don't tell me your kid is into IT because of this as well.

I don't believe there are any rules regarding age of members. And what does this have to do with home improvement or miles of Cat6 in a home?

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

I registered each child for dslreports at about age 6 yes, at least the currently minor children.

Over the years they have learned to use a number of sites. As to into IT, the opposite, they enjoy technology when they like it. Though they understand IT as a part of their life.
--

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US

1 recommendation

Pandora, good for you that you share your interest with your kids and try to go all out for the things that matter to you.

Too many people play is safe and never try to push their personal limits.

I understand people who try to understand and ask questions but I do not understand people who try to judge or question what you do.

Here is a fun read, I think he is a kindred spirit to you Pandora
»icrontic.com/article/man_builds_···on_tower