share rss forum feed

yvvvvv

join:2010-05-08
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

In an uncertain future: Google Fiber in Canada

As pointed out by Ars Technica, Google says it's Fiber service is not an hobby and they look at all possibilities for expansion.

»arstechnica.com/business/2013/01···re-next/

Therefore, there is an ad for a job as Product Manager for Google Fiber Mobile Apps in Waterloo-Kitchener.

»www.google.com/about/jobs/search···=233002&

Let's hope for Google Fiber to come in Canada before 2020!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

1 edit

More like Google's waterloo office is the one that handles their mobile apps. It means nothing about the location of Google Fiber trials and everything about which of their offices handles that development.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Neo

join:2012-03-16

Is there any chance, ANY chance at all that google fibre will expand and come to Canada eventually? In a reasonable amount of time...not in the next 50 years?

I've been considering moving to texas just for google fibre.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by Neo:

Is there any chance, ANY chance at all that google fibre will expand and come to Canada eventually? In a reasonable amount of time...not in the next 50 years?

No one can answer that question but it is extremely unlikely. It is more likely that if they expand it will be to various other American cities.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

If gaming goes to the cloud - Which will happen in the future..
Then google fiber would be needed in every city of north america + the country

Example - Simcity 2013

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to yvvvvv

whats uncertain?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Neo

said by Neo:

Given it's still a new service, they would likely expand further in the US before Canada or other countries.

avenison

join:2009-12-10
reply to yvvvvv

Let's pose the question a little differently: What are the chances that Canada's incumbent carriers and/or the CRTC would allow this to happen, even if it was offered?

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2
reply to yvvvvv

I wouldn't make much of the job opening. Google's waterloo office has always been a key software development site for Google. They've done a lot in terms of developing Chrome browser and other Google apps, it's not surprising they've been tapped to develop apps for the Google fiber service.

If google fiber were to ever enter the Canadian market, I don't see them entering a territory with a Bell/Rogers or Shaw/Telus incumbency. Rogers and Bell especially, are very keen on reacting to competitive pressures and both of them have already been rolling out FTTH in all new developments.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

1 recommendation

reply to Neo

said by Neo:

Sure. All a Canadian town has to do is give Google free reign to the town's infrastructure free of charge, even assisting them in the installation costs and labour. The economic benefits will be so overwhelming, it won't be long before that town becomes both a major city and a dominant player in Canada's technological sector.

But that will probably never happen since politicians only think as far as the next election.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

knochanccee

@telus.net
reply to yvvvvv

Re: In an uncertain future: Google wifi in Canada

I say that Google Wifi has more chance. Put up tower that is much higher than standard top of the trees wireless ISP towers(complying with flight paths, beacon lighting), licensed frequency, fiber to base, no measly caps.

that taxpayer subsidized Canada wide wireless internet provider would really object to that. x . It point out what politicians are restricting Internet rollouts in canada for protection of their longterm private retirement packages.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to MJB

Re: In an uncertain future: Google Fiber in Canada

said by MJB:

Example - Simcity 2013

The closed beta of Simcity 5 works fine on a cable connection.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
reply to yvvvvv

i have dsl - 5mbit 800kbits

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
reply to yvvvvv

As a resident of Kitchener I'm all for this but the proof is in the pudding and we'll just have to wait and see. I would be very surprised if their second city was in Canada not in the US.

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Neo

said by Neo:

If Google can't (or won't) bring Google Voice to Canada, it's a snowball's chance in hell they'd bring Fibre here.

Even Google Music seems to be a challenge for them here.

It seems it's all about economy of scale. We just don't have the kind of scale they're interested in.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

said by camelot:

If Google can't (or won't) bring Google Voice to Canada, it's a snowball's chance in hell they'd bring Fibre here.

Quick, duck!

Google Voice for Canada: »www.google.com/chat/voice/
And here: »gmailblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12···ada.html

Or is that something different from "Google Voice" ?

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

said by mlord:

Google Voice for Canada: »www.google.com/chat/voice/
»gmailblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12···ada.html

Or is that something different from "Google Voice" ?

That's not Google Voice. That's just calling from GMail. Google Voice is something completely different. It's a single number that handles everything for you.

CORRECTION!
It appears it may be available in certain locations...
»www.google.ca/mobile/voice/

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to yvvvvv

Well I view it this way. Before Google Fiber Internet comes to Canada it will be everywhere in the U.S. Thinking how long it took for the most recent google fiber it takes like a year to set up. Think of it this way. Probably a year for 2 cities. And there are thousands of US cities... Does not look good.

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
reply to camelot

said by camelot:

CORRECTION!
It appears it may be available in certain locations...
»www.google.ca/mobile/voice/

Not so fast. Change the .ca url to anything else (like .fr, .co.jp) and you get the same page. If you change the area selector on the bottom of the page to Canada (instead of United States), and you get a different page with no mention of Google voice.

I think your initial impression was right.