share rss forum feed

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Hitron troubles

Anybody else have port forwarding rules setup on their Hitron and finding them mysteriously disappearing?

I guess it's not really much of a mystery -- it seems like the rules aren't persisted after the device restarts (just confirmed by manually restarting).

So am I missing something? Do I have to do something to persist the rules? I don't remember having this problem with the DPC3825.

Also, I thought "no problem, I'll write up a little program to monitor the port forwards via UPnP and add them back in after they go missing", but UPnP doesn't seem to work (even though I have it enabled). Am I missing something here too?

Ree

h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
OK, problem may be solved. I had enough of the Hitron's crap, so I put it in bridged mode so I could setup my old router. But my old router appears to be dead, so I had to reset the Hitron...

Just for shits and giggles I tested UPnP right after resetting it, and it worked fine! So I figured I would slowly configure it, and after each change test UPnP to see at what point it would stop working.

Didn't take long, my very first change was to switch to 10.20.30.1 instead of 192.168.0.1, and it broke after that. Tried several other IPs in different ranges, and they all failed. Reverting to 192.168.0.1 got UPnP working again right away.

I also added a port forward and rebooted the router, and unlike before it persisted.

So apparently it's a good idea to stick to 192.168.0.1 if you don't want mysterious shit to happen to your Hitron!

jmcneill

join:2010-04-06
Canada
I'm seeing this exact same problem on my SMCD3GN. It's driving me crazy!

morpheus69

join:2006-04-17
canada
reply to Ree
Perhaps the routers can only handle class C private network addresses... it really isn't a big deal.

jmcneill

join:2010-04-06
Canada
Considering CIDR was introduced in 1993, I'd expect that it wouldn't be a problem with an RG that I bought only a few years ago.

In any case, using 192.168.0.x appears to have resolved the problem for me, thanks OP! I was using a 10.x.x.x address because at one time I was frequently VPNing to a network that used 192.168.x.x addresses, causing conflicts.

Ree

h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to morpheus69
said by morpheus69:

Perhaps the routers can only handle class C private network addresses... it really isn't a big deal.

Yeah I dunno. It functions with the class A, other than the lack of UPnP and inability to save port forward rules on restart. Same behaviour happened with 192.168.1.1 -- didn't think to try something else in the 192.168.0.* range to see if that would have worked.

And yeah, it's not a big deal. I'm just used to typing 10.20.30.* from work, so re-used that at home. 192.168.0.* is cool with me too though.

And jmcneill, glad this solved your problem too!

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
You can't assign class A addresses to most (all?) consumer network devices, or class B either. The subnet mask only goes from /24 and up.

10.20.30.0/24 is still class C.

Router not liking anything then the factory default subnet is definitely funky though.