kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Noticed modem reboot and...

Click for full size
Eight downstream
Every once in a while I check the status page on the Arris. I noticed the modem rebooted. Took me a second to notice but...

Eight downstream in Central Jersey..up from five.
--
Ken

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ
Same thing for me too. Central Jersey seems to be at the bottom of CV's to do list

jpr281

join:2006-01-12
Shirley, NY
I just noticed I now have 8 downstream channels yesterday. Brookhaven LI system.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
NJ was the last region to go all-digital, so of course it will be the last to reallocate the additional frequencies as downstream channels. You can't add OOL bandwidth that you are using elsewhere.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
said by kdshapiro:

Every once in a while I check the status page on the Arris.

I'm pretty sure Eatontown is in the heart of Comcast Country. Which means either you're in the wrong forum or you need to update your profile.

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY
reply to kdshapiro
Still only 5 here on the Warwick system

kdshapiro

Eatontown, NJ
reply to mbernste
I inadvertently typed the wrong zip code and left it for posterity.
--
Ken

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
5 channels here

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
Still only 5 in Hoboken.

JosephB

join:2012-10-19
Manhasset, NY
reply to kdshapiro
Please explain the basics to me of reading this Arris Modem - Status Page posted by kdshapiro:

1. What indicates a "Modem - Reboot" ?

2. What does Multiple Downstreams mean ?
.... Is it better to more Downtreams listed or less ?
.... What is the best number of "Downstreams" to have ?

Thanks.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
8 down here in CT.

You would not notice a modem reboot unless you looked.

Multiple downstream channels means more total bandwidth available for you and your neighbors - less chance of having your speeds reduced due to congestion.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
reply to JosephB
If the online light is not solid, it went offline/rebooted.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to jaa
We got 8 channels here in CT a bit ago but just checked mine and noticed my signal is now crap!

Used to be +1-4 range, now i'm in the 6-9 range. Not causing troubles yet but guess i'll be keeping an eye on it. Upstream power is still the same.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Cablevision keeps messing with the signals here. I'm in the -6 to -8 range. The difference between channels can be as high as 1.5. Seems to work OK.

Still only 5 channels.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
still no multiple upstream channels?

JosephB

Manhasset, NY
reply to kdshapiro
jaa, frdrizzt,

Thanks for the explanations.

kdshapiro

Eatontown, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
You can tell if your modem rebooted by looking at the status page. There is a status called uptime. I noticed the uptime was hours, so I assumed a reboot.

(As opposed to after Hurricane Sandy when we had no power for two weeks, the uptime also reset when the power was restored)
--
Ken

JosephB

Manhasset, NY
kdshapiro,
This is good one, I had not noticed that. ... Thanks.
.... Now, I know that the problem I was having each morning, for a few days, endling 2 days ago, was *not* my router disconecting from the internet, but rather the modem rebooted (i.e. disconnected-reconnected to internet), by itself, during the early AM, for a few days. I am assuming it must of been some kind of outside cable issue in my area that was fixed because it stopped happening 2 days ago and the "Uptime" status indicates "2d 15hr 33m" and I am assuming "2d" meands 2 days ago, right ?

kdshapiro

Eatontown, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Yes. '2d' means two days.

My old modem sbv6600(may not be the right model #) used to reboot all the time.

If you look at my original post, there is a column called uncorrectables. Numbers in this column represent bits of data your modem could not correctly interpet. Small numbers are generally okay in this column. Large numbers *might* indicate an issue.

Numbers in the corrected column indicate bits of data that to the model were erronious but the model was able to figure out what they were anyway.

My old model used to reboot and I noticed the number of uncorrectables were in the stratosphere.

Without doing anything to my internal wiring, this issue has fixed itself, or cablevision fixed this issue outside of the drop, and I rarely get any numbers in the uncorrectable column.
--
Ken

tbear228

join:2004-12-26
Seaford, NY
how do you get to the arris status page?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

JosephB

Manhasset, NY
reply to kdshapiro
kdshapiro,

Thanks for additional info.

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ
reply to tbear228
said by tbear228:

how do you get to the arris status page?

»192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/status_cgi

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
Central?

I'm in northern and we're still on 5 channels; suffering from peak congestion issues and now, out of the blue, packet loss, something that hasn't been a problem since before we were upgraded to 5 channels.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
Now have 8 channels
No reboot
Event log shows happened @2am last night
Modem up for 18 days

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
Just got upgraded to 8 channels 20 minutes ago.

No modem reboot either, but lost connectivity a few times over the course of 25 minutes.

I am happy. This should hold out until they oversell again. Took about a year and a half last time, wonder how long it's going to be this time.

Now if only they would boost the speeds to compensate for the absurd $5 increase when internet has been getting cheaper and cheaper as time passes.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
8 channels downstream confirmed on the Morris County system.

Between this and CV removing all the SDV (Switched Digital Video) on all the sports and movie channels (exception being NBA/MLB/NHL packages), finally it seems progress is being made.

serge666

join:2004-06-07
Little Falls, NJ
reply to kdshapiro
8 for me in Passaic county NJ

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Still 5 channels on Raritan/Warren system.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kdshapiro
Click for full size
No reboot, but up to 8 as of 130 today...