uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25
reply to Davesnothere

Re: [Anveo] 'CONTACT CHECK' + 'PRESS KEY' = PERFECT SPAM TRAP

said by Davesnothere:

The only question left in MY mind is whether to use a blacklist, a whitelist, or both, but for now I'm just seeing how effective the 'Press Key' step seems to be on its own.

I strongly recommend that you implement the whitelist ASAP, at least for your parents / wife / kids / anyone that you really care about.

It's dangerous to send DTMF while driving. In the good old days, it wasn't so bad -- you would just feel for the 3 button. But with Android or iPhone, you have to take your eyes off the road twice, first to find the "show keypad" button, then to find the 3.

If you insist on IVR for all, your contacts may be able to automate pressing 3. If their hands-free calling is phone-based, it is a simple matter of programming the Contact entry to have a "pause" followed by 3. However, if they are using the "dial by name" function of their car's multimedia system, then the pause function needs to be set in the car's phonebook, and some don't have that feature.

Other disadvantages of the forced IVR include that a caller will be charged one minute, even if they hang up before you answer. Also, it thwarts automation on the caller's side, e.g. if they want a speed dial on their PBX that will call your mobile, if you don't answer at home.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Stewart:

said by Davesnothere:

The only question left in MY mind is whether to use a blacklist, a whitelist, or both, but for now I'm just seeing how effective the 'Press Key' step seems to be on its own.

I strongly recommend that you implement the whitelist ASAP, at least for your parents / wife / kids / anyone that you really care about.

It's dangerous to send DTMF while driving. In the good old days, it wasn't so bad -- you would just feel for the 3 button. But with Android or iPhone, you have to take your eyes off the road twice, first to find the "show keypad" button, then to find the 3.

If you insist on IVR for all, your contacts may be able to automate pressing 3. If their hands-free calling is phone-based, it is a simple matter of programming the Contact entry to have a "pause" followed by 3. However, if they are using the "dial by name" function of their car's multimedia system, then the pause function needs to be set in the car's phonebook, and some don't have that feature.

Other disadvantages of the forced IVR include that a caller will be charged one minute, even if they hang up before you answer. Also, it thwarts automation on the caller's side, e.g. if they want a speed dial on their PBX that will call your mobile, if you don't answer at home.

I completely agree with suggestions regarding whitelist.

As far as caller being charged for 1 minute even if they hang up - either CONTACT CHECK or some other controls in my workflow will not work unless "Do Not Answer The Line" is UNCHECKED in your Start Control. As soon as you do this callers will always be charged for one minute even if they hang up at any point because your line is answered immediately.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to Stewart
Any comment on what the 'other' and 'spam' outputs of "Contact Check" contain? Is my try above close to correct?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Stewart
said by Stewart:

said by Davesnothere:

I strongly recommend that you implement the whitelist ASAP, at least for your parents / wife / kids / anyone that you really care about....

Interesting reasoning.

I get it.

But the rest can go to Hell, then ?

Come to think of it, that's usually where I would LIKE to send telemarketers, survey takers, and bill collectors.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

....As far as caller being charged for 1 minute even if they hang up - either CONTACT CHECK or some other controls in my workflow will not work unless "Do Not Answer The Line" is UNCHECKED in your Start Control.

As soon as you do this callers will always be charged for one minute even if they hang up at any point because your line is answered immediately.

Yes, I noticed that behaviour while I was testing my various lines for CNAM performance by calling them from each other.

So it's a trade-off, one function for another - no free lunches, etc....

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Stewart is suggesting that you pass the call from friends etc right through with no further test, but to give those not on the nice list a chance at pressing the key to get through your test. My diagram above intends to implement that. I added that diagram after your post as an edit.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by StillLearn:

said by Davesnothere:

Stewart is suggesting that you pass the call from friends etc right through with no further test, but to give those not on the nice list a chance at pressing the key to get through your test. My diagram above intends to implement that.

I added that diagram after your post as an edit.

Yes, I see that you did - looks like it would work.

And yes, I was being facetious.