Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to HolmanGT

Re: Netgear WNDR3700 Max Rate question

said by HolmanGT:

If you have WAP2 on why do you worry about "interlopers"?

IF PGHammer See Profile uses wpa2 and for a pass-phrase makes sure that its length is greater than 30 mixed case characters THEN he should not to have to worry about "interlopers" --- however if he happens to be sloppy and share that special pass-phrase with a host of admirers then all bets are off.

WAP = Wireless Application Protocol
WPA = Wireless Protected Access
All of us must endeavour to get our "terms" on a level playing field.

On the other hand , if you and Hammer are communicating in some special code to prevent "interlopers" from comprehending the conversation --- well that is another mater.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT

mozerd,

First, sorry I didn't recognize you until this morning. I have been living on the Apple iPhone forum. Now that Apple came out with the iPhone "5"... I have abandon that little escapade.

And you caught me I did mean WPA2. It is something I mess with so seldom that my command of all the acronyms is sadly lacking - "not a good thing when communicating with thousands".

mozerd, I use an eight character alphanumeric key. Is that poor enough to render my system EASILY hackable? I just know you are going to say yes.

PS - it has been a very long time since we have chatted. Good to here from you again,

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by HolmanGT:

I use an eight character alphanumeric key. Is that poor enough to render my system EASILY hackable? I just know you are going to say yes.

PS - it has been a very long time since we have chatted. Good to here from you again,

Yes. eight character alphanumeric key can be broken quickly --- at minimum it should be 13 character alphanumeric .... the longer the key the harder it is to crack and if you want to make it un-hackable then us 63 alphanumeric character.

Good to see you too George. BTW, the new Windows 8 phone is OUTSTANDING especially the Nokia Lumia 920 or the Samsung Ativ S .... both are amazing phones
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT

David,

You must hate me. I have so much trouble keeping up with passwords the thought of a 13 character alph-n password makes me shiver.

"Great minds" I have been looking very hard at the Nokia Lumina 920. I have lost my fascination with the iPhone and the model 5 with its soft aluminum powdered coated, pre-dinged and scratched frame have just really turned me off.

So as not to hijack this thread I will "IM" you a little later in the day to chat about the 920.

Regards,

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to mozerd

I use a shorter passphrase - however, I share it with nobody. The only wireless devices are those physically in the house (currently, it's the tertiary wireless adapter on my desktop and Mom's SAMSUNG smart TV on the second floor). My desktop also has two WIRED connections to the same router - the wireless is strictly for test usage.