All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

bbwithdrawls
join:2008-08-30
Vanleer, TN

bbwithdrawls

4620 le seperate fact from fiction

I'm thinking about getting one for travel and as a backup to my T1 , I am in on the edge of coverage and will actually be in the extended 4g . I stopped at verizon and looked at it , nice little device , I asked about 4g vs 3g and the salesman made the statement 4g penetrates further and deeper than 3g ,( I had the urge to reach down and pull up my pant legs)

I was very honest and open about my concern about signal , they said i had 14 days to bring it back with just paying for what i use , the restock fee and the activation , if i brought it back before 3 days no activation fee

anyway my questions are as follows

is 4g signal able to penetrate deeper and further ? or horsefeathers as i suspect. No los to tower

I understand there is not a dual directional 4g/3g antenna right now ,what are options for antenna or wait

anyone know what mcom return policy is ? i just hate to pay out money to try something , if it doesnt work , it doesnt work id like to be able to try the device I'm going to use

kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

It depends what frequency they decided to use on the tower your closest to. 700mhz does penetrate deeper. If they use the 1700/2100mhz band, then sorry it won't. It's definitely a try it out and see how it works for you. The main difference I see is that 700mhz penetrates deeper into buildings. If I'm at one of my offices where they use the 1700, as soon as I walk in my signal either drops drastically or switches to 3g.

My issue with verizon so called 4g coverage is that they only need to light up one or two towers in an area and they call that "coverage" even though the rest of the towers are still 3g. They then come back several months later or when the tower needs maintenance and slowly make the rounds. So in my main area, 1/3 the area is 4g, the rest is still 3g.
student5
join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA

student5 to bbwithdrawls

to bbwithdrawls
If you are not satisfied with your connection and send Millenicom the return tracking number within 24-hours they'll credit you back everything except the $15.00 shipping fee.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

unless there is a problem with the upstream provider, that should be increased to at least 48 hours ... 24 is hardly time to check it out and get it back into a shipping box ..

bbwithdrawls
Vanleer, TN

bbwithdrawls

I agree Jim , as a past customer and as a potential customer I feel like a week is needed to evaluate , I don't mind paying for that week and am ok with a returned model to test with , I think ill just roll the dice and give them a call and explain my situation and if they say no, they say no ,

I know I can go to Verizon and test theirs but I just don't feel comfortable doing that knowing I wont be using their service , unless they can match the 20 gb and the price

One more important question , does mcom stick on taxes and fees to the bill adding 10 or 15 dollars,

thanx
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

no taxes or other fees with Millenicom
jamiem
join:2013-01-26

jamiem

Millenicom told me I had 30 days to return the jetpack and only had to pay for the shipping.

bbwithdrawls
Vanleer, TN

bbwithdrawls

Ok , another round of questions ,

Is it the 4620 LE that comes with millenicom hot spot and what is the expected battery life on a charge ?

any issue with getting device getting hot if left running in car plugged up or on desktop ?

how does one keep up with the data usage on this device itself ,

does it come with both car and house power supplies ?

if i get this I was considering chucking my cell plan and using wifi and grooveip connected to this , anyone see any issues with this, I figured roughly 1 mg per minute for voip, 1024 mins for a Gb of data

thanks in advance
rekees
join:2007-03-23

rekees

Is it the 4620 LE that comes with millenicom hot spot and what is the expected battery life on a charge ?
10 hours but it can be used and charged simultaneously.

any issue with getting device getting hot if left running in car plugged up or on desktop ?
Don't know about car but it only gets warm on desktop.

how does one keep up with the data usage on this device itself?
Log into the 4620 with your browser and there is a usage tracker. I created a free Verizon account and track usage that way.

does it come with both car and house power supplies ?
Comes with wall (A/C) charger & USB but no car connection.

if i get this I was considering chucking my cell plan and using wifi and grooveip connected to this , anyone see any issues with this, I figured roughly 1 mg per minute for voip, 1024 mins for a Gb of data?
Don't know.

bbwithdrawls
Vanleer, TN

bbwithdrawls to jamiem

to jamiem
not doubting you at all but i just called and they told me 24-48 hours no exceptions , even after i explained it to them
bbwithdrawls

bbwithdrawls

I just called mcom and explained my situation , told me I had 24-48 hours no more ,
stenman
join:2007-03-07
Salinas, CA

stenman to bbwithdrawls

to bbwithdrawls
Verizon 4G/LTE uses 746-787MHz which is uses a longer wavelength than 3G and longer wavelengths will travel further than shorter ones.

There are tri-band Yagi antennas that cover from 700 up to 2800MHz and so will work for both 4G and 3G. These are designed for mounting to the exterior of a building. There are mobile antennas designed for auto and boat use but I would not expect them to provide the same signal strength as the Yagi.

Most Yagi "tri-band" are selling for around $60 so not a big expense to swap out an old 3G antenna.
mooseracing8
join:2006-05-22
Clarksville, MI

mooseracing8 to rekees

to rekees
said by rekees:

10 hours but it can be used and charged simultaneously.

Not charging and actual use, I get only a couple hours.

vobguy
A fool with a tool is still a fool
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Mineral, VA

vobguy to bbwithdrawls

Premium Member

to bbwithdrawls
Note that I am in the "extended" area, in fact near the edge of the 4g LTE "Extended" area. So I was shocked I could consistently get 2 bars on 4G LTE inside my house , with no antenna.

Funny thing is when the 4G has an issue, it usually doesn't drop to 3G it goes all the way down to 1XRTT, not sure if that has to do with different frequencies or something? Usually all I have to do is restart the mifi and hold it high and/or near the window and I have my 2 bars LTE back.

Imagine when I actually work on the setup This was really just an experiment to start, but its worked so much better than my 3G right out of the box I haven't messed with it much.